Ubuntuserver crashes while copying data to it

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
Wim Kreuger

Ubuntuserver crashes while copying data to it

Post by Wim Kreuger »

First of all, I am the newest newbie ever on Linux and Ubuntu....
Nevertheless I managed to get an Ubuntuserver 16.04 LTS up and running on some old hardware I have.
I have installed a windows compatible volume using LVM that consists of a a ext/4 partition on my installation disk and a single ext/4 partition on second disk, sda1 and sda2.
I have in my network also a Synology server on which I stored documents, music and movies.
Now my problem, challenge or however you want to call it:
I tried to copy files from my Synology to my Ubuntu. That went as expected: fine.
So what did I do: I selected a couple of hundred files with a total of about 10GB and copied that to my Ubuntuserver and after some time it stopped copying and when looked. The server had crashed. I could reset it and resume the operation, but again it crashed after some time.
By trial and error I discovered that when I limited the operation to about 1GB all went well.
I conclude therefore that there appears to be some kind of buffer overflow somewhere which plays havoc on the os.
Like I said earlier: I am the newest newbie you can Imagine, so now I am hollering for help!!!!
Anyone have an idea as to what I apparently have done wrong?
Thanks,

Wim
gmachine24

Re: Ubuntuserver crashes while copying data to it

Post by gmachine24 »

If you are copying over a network - especially via a wireless connection at any point - 10Gb is a lot of data... as you know.

How are you copying files? If you are dragging-and-dropping .. yeah... that's gonna crash.

Are you perchance copying via a command line utility? And what are you copying from? The Synology server?
Wim Kreuger

Post by Wim Kreuger »

Yes I am copying over a network.
No I'm not using a wireless network.
Ans Yes I am copying from said Synology server.
No, I am not copying using cli
I am using a filemanager on my pc which I use to login on the Synology server as well as the Ubuntuserver.
And I also tried copying via the filemanager in webmin I use as gui on my pc.
As source I used a harddisk I attached via usb. It was formatted in NTFS.
gmachine24

Post by gmachine24 »

I know nothing about Synology NAS devices. However, it seems they might run a version of Linux.

If so, the easiest/fastest thing to do might be to use the rsync command - which will sync all the files from your Synology NAS to your Ubuntu box.

This link is about how to copy to a Synology NAS using rsync - but I imagine you can reverse the process.

https://serverfault.com/questions/11245 ... nology-nas

This is about how to get rsync running on a Synology NAS

http://raphael.kallensee.name/journal/h ... via-rsync/

You might be able to copy from your Synology NAS to your Ubuntu computer by running rsync from the Ubuntu computer - I'm not clear on this but read this:

https://serverfault.com/questions/78095 ... ive#780953

There is also rsnapshot - a backup tool based on rsync.

http://rsnapshot.org/

I could find more information about your Synology NAS if you give its make/model etc.
Wim Kreuger

Post by Wim Kreuger »

Synology devices do indeed use a kind of Linux dialect.
The NAS I have is a DS415+. A relatively new server.
I ran in to the problem because originally I intended to build an Ubuntu-server from an old machine an acquaintance of mine had. He had collected quite a bit of music and films and I thought of a cheap way of making that available in his house. A kind of multiroomsystem....
Well, I had that server up and running and was trying to fill it with his stuff in a fast way....
And then the server crashed...
And by the way: I connected a hard-disk via USB to the server and copied files from it to the storage in the server and it crashed also....
gmachine24

Post by gmachine24 »

well, again, I don't now know how you're copying files; drag-and-drop; rsync; etc. there are, of course, error logs for the ubuntu server which might say why it crashed; IDK. if the ubuntu server is on old hardware - ie small ram and slower cpu - it might be overloaded.

I suggest trying to rsync a few folders and see how that goes. perhaps you can do this over time. that's what I do when I'm copying my CDs etc; I do one or two at a time otherwise my head explodes.