VM Media Streaming

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
SergeantBort

VM Media Streaming

Post by SergeantBort »

Okay, I have been poking around here looking for an answer but have not seen anything and google has not helped me at this time.

I have 12.04 server running, with 2 VM's (stable and beta, but have not gotten out of beta yet)
Server set up to bridge, all three with static IP's

I can get to the internet, I can SSH to all three machines. I have a Samba server installed on the main box, and can map and access that information across my network.

My issue arrises with streaming media from the VM.... No peice of equipment on my network, DLNA capable TV, Logitech Revue, or PS3, seem to notice it on my network as available media, my Windows 7 PC does not see it either.

I've tried MythTomb, miniDLNA, Serviio... Seviio has been my closest to success, but only see's when I have the service running on a windows PC on my network, and is not seeing any of the data on my VM Ubuntu media server...

I have a feeling it's a port, or bridge issue, but I have hit the brick wall here.. After only about 10 rebuilds of my main box (6 before I got to the KVM section of the guide) and then a couple afterwards, when I messed up the main set up for bridge and networking to get stable...

Any ideas or suggestions here... This is the only issue I've run into that no amount of reading and goggling seem's to be able to resolve..
Ian

Re: VM Media Streaming

Post by Ian »

Hi,

Have you tried the following?:

Try and ping a VM from your windows 7 machine
SSH onto one of the VMs and try and ping your windows 7 machine from the VM. Whilst on the VM also try and ping google (or some other site on the internet).

Do these all come back as good?

Sorry, if you've already tried these, just double-checking where you're at ;)

Ian.
SergeantBort

Post by SergeantBort »

I've been able to ping from multiple computers on my network to the VM, (win 7, xp, and ubuntu desktop) Have not attempted to ping from the VM to one of those machines yet, but have successfully connected from all of those machines to the VM via VLC and SSH. Have been able to sucessfully ping from the VM to www.google.com, I have pinged my router from the VM's (as when initially setting up with static IP's I had issues getting to the internet)

(cannot test further right now, I attempted making a network setting change on my main box, and must have borked something can no longer access my box remotely, will have to undo that last change when I get home from work)
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hmm, in that case I'm a bit stumped. It doesn't sound like a bridging issue and I would think all required ports would be open already (assuming you've not done anything funky in that regard) :crazy:

Have you tried installing a DLNA server (I now favour PS3MediaServer) on the host machine. ie. not on any of the VMs?

Ian.
SergeantBort

Post by SergeantBort »

Ian wrote:Hmm, in that case I'm a bit stumped. It doesn't sound like a bridging issue and I would think all required ports would be open already (assuming you've not done anything funky in that regard) :crazy:

Have you tried installing a DLNA server (I now favour PS3MediaServer) on the host machine. ie. not on any of the VMs?

Ian.
Can't say i've done anything port/bridge wise that should cause any headaches...

That's where im getting stumped myself.. Have not gotten to that step yet, been having other small issues that I kept trying to figure out with the VM, and rebuilding those about 10 times until I got them working good and stable to be able to just clone after messing something up..

Will see how that works out tonight, I have a feeling it might be something in my router, with me assigning static IP's to the boxes.... I might need to dig into that end a little bit more, but of course.. last time I did that.. I borked my wifi.. and the wife almost killed me cause it took 30 minutes to get it back online...
Ian

Post by Ian »

When you're assigning static IPs it can take a while for your "network" to figure that out. What happens, at least with mine, is you build a VM and boot into it. Assign it a static IP and then boot again. It can take a while (10-20 minutes) for that to "take". Before that time you'll get strange things happening. You could try rebooting your router once you've assigned the static IP on the VM. Also, it can help to also reboot any machine which might be acting (albeit unintentionally) as a WINS server.

Also, if you clone a VM, unless you follow the "gotchas" in my guide it can also be a bit flaky.

Lastly, you are assigning fixed IP addresses that are outside the possible range available on your router? ie. they must be on the same subnet but just not using the same address that your router might pick? I tend to go into my router interface and manually delete all the "stale" connections (old VMs etc).

Ian.
SergeantBort

Post by SergeantBort »

I've had these machines running on my static IP's for well over 20 minutes each, with multiple reboots on each system. The only system that tends to be left on, beyond my cable boxes (which are assigned IP addresses with my carrier) has been my Ubuntu Server, all computers are at least restarted once a day, if not shut down.

I have my routers is 192.168.1.1 dhcp is set from 192.168.1.2 - .199 my static ip of my main box is .200 the VM's are .205 & .206

I am able to ping from my other machines by their names, and IP's no issues there, and your clone guide to changing the settings has been used a few times, thank you for that! I have them both running at the same time and able to vnc and ssh to both at the same time from my other systems.

I have cleaned up some of my old VM IP's that where in the router already, as I initially was just going to set it up with dhcp in place, but kept having issues with that and decided to swap over to static IP's.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I still remain stumped then :crazy:

All I can suggest is installing your chosen DLNA software on the host machine and see what happens. If it works then you have useful info to go on (although I'm not sure what exactly :?)

I've not ported mine over to 12.04, I'm still on 10.04, I wonder whether that's where the mystery lies? :eh:

Ian.
SergeantBort

Post by SergeantBort »

Ian wrote:I still remain stumped then :crazy:

I've not ported mine over to 12.04, I'm still on 10.04, I wonder whether that's where the mystery lies? :eh:

Ian.
That's what I am fearing at the moment... but I have seen plenty of posts about running dlna servers on 12.04 with success.. Will let you know how installing on the main box fairs.. Think I will stick with miniDLNA purely for the basic and simple set up as a test to see if it's visible on my network.
SergeantBort

Post by SergeantBort »

I am going to try loading a 10.04 VM up before I go to messing with the Main box... as I said before I've borked it a few times, spending way to many hours to configure it.. It still needs some tweaking but it seems to be running stable, and the Samba file server shows up on my network computers.

see if that has any better resolutions for me.. if still no luck, I will mess with the main box, as that could cause issues because it's 12.04 host causing the issues to the network and not the VM itself... try to at least narrow down where the problem is..