VM Media Streaming

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
SergeantBort

Re: VM Media Streaming

Post by SergeantBort »

Well not having luck setting my 10.04 VM to a static IP.. and I can't get it to see my local network on dhcp.... all the information I found to get 12.04 working is not helping on it... going to have to dig into that one a bit more..

Going to skip ahead to installing minidlna on my main box.. and well if I have to start over, at least it's the weekend.
SergeantBort

Post by SergeantBort »

Still no luck with the 10.04 VM...

Been having some issues with minidlna on my main box, it's not allowing me to reload the library.. giving me an error, but I can see the media share on that on my win 7 desktop, still cannot see it on my TV, but it's a step in the right direction at least.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I've never tried minidlna. PS3MediaServer worked right out of the box. All I had to do was tell it what I wanted to share and it was good to go. No faffing around or anything.

Ian.
SergeantBort

Post by SergeantBort »

Ian wrote:I've never tried minidlna. PS3MediaServer worked right out of the box. All I had to do was tell it what I wanted to share and it was good to go. No faffing around or anything.

Ian.
im giving that a try right now on a 12.04 VM... seems like it 'should' work, as I can see it as a media device on my win 7 machine, having some issues with telling it where to pull media from though...

none of the guides out there explain the config part of it, and everytime I load it in gui, it fails to save any changes I make...
Ian

Post by Ian »

SergeantBort wrote:none of the guides out there explain the config part of it, and everytime I load it in gui, it fails to save any changes I make...
When you're logged onto the machine and running the PS3MediaServer GUI and click the Save button it saves the changes under your profile (the username you're logged on as). If you then reboot the server and don't log back in then the "user" is now root (and hence none of the changes you made when logged on as you are visible to root).

Does that sound about right? If so, I'll dig out the solution for you.

Ian.
SergeantBort

Post by SergeantBort »

Decided to install via terminal in GUI

Seems to allow saves to be made now, it is visible on my win 7 computer... So far still does not seem to be visible on my DLNA TV... have not tried the PS3, or logitech Revue

Guess I just have to wait and let it scan for my media, could take a while, 500 ish gigs...
Ian

Post by Ian »

Progress, well done :clap:

If I were you I'd just point it to a subset of your collection for now. No point letting it scan everything only to discover you've messed something up. Or maybe I'm just impatient :roll:

Ian.
SergeantBort

Post by SergeantBort »

I have it pointing straight to the mounted media folders, folders only have Music, Movies and pictures (pointed to each sub folder in a main media folder), but I still have about 500 gigs in there...
Ian

Post by Ian »

I've no idea how long that'll take. I guess it should start showing some stuff up right away tho?
SergeantBort

Post by SergeantBort »

Ian wrote:I've no idea how long that'll take. I guess it should start showing some stuff up right away tho?
That's what I expected myself... no luck.. it does give me an error loading when I closed out of the gui interface and opened it.. trying to reinstall