VM Media Streaming

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
Ian

Re: VM Media Streaming

Post by Ian »

Do you ever feel like giving up :crazy:

I really feel for you. It should "just work". :cry:

Ian.
SergeantBort

Post by SergeantBort »

Ian wrote:Do you ever feel like giving up :crazy:

I really feel for you. It should "just work". :cry:

Ian.
My Wife wants me to just give up, lol. Been tinkering for about a month in my free time (mostly in the evenings after work, when she wants to spend time with me)

It get's so bad, that I will be sitting in bed till 2 am on my laptop and not realize it's that late, then decide it's time for bed, and im seeing command lines in my head :wtf:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Welcome to our world :lol:

Ian
SergeantBort

Post by SergeantBort »

after about the third attempt to build using ps3 media server... it actually loaded differently then before... seems as if it will properly work.. although I pointed it to scan specific folders but it seems to want to scan everything still.... not sure on that.. but with my luck so far, i wouldn't be surprised, lol.

Okay, think I had a blonde moment there... did a fresh build (clone of my stable version) and forgot to link my media... Do'H :crazy:

seems to be scanning properly now
SergeantBort

Post by SergeantBort »

okay, think my issue is with my router now..

I can see the ps3 media server on win 7... still not seeing data.. but the server see the PC.... and the PC see's the Media Server.. why the media does not generate I am not sure..

Now when I go through the log when ps3 media loads, it shows the devices on the network, and if it is open... my tv, nor logitech revue seem to be generating there (although both are on)

Don't seem to be seeing all of my wireless devices in my router.. although they are clearly on the internet.... I have my wifi tv, logitech revue, ps3 all on.. only have one unaccounted for device listed in my router as a wireless device, but have three devices currently connected...
SergeantBort

Post by SergeantBort »

Okay, got my TV and PS3 into my router... still can't seem to see either device listed on the media server... more digging and poking.. it shows two render's available unknown and WMP, and the only device that appears to connect is my win 7 pc..
SergeantBort

Post by SergeantBort »

seem to have an issue when I change some of the config settings on ps3mediaserver...

trying to change it from root and not auto start.. seems to fail to load properly..

even just changing to auto start seems to fail to load properly..
SergeantBort

Post by SergeantBort »

Okay, think I have figured out where the issue is.. but no idea how to resolve it...

I have attempted to install ps3 media on both virtual and the main box. The Virtual box only seemed to see my windows 7 pc, and one unknown rendered.. (i believe my DVR)

Just installed on my main box, and neither the DVR or Win 7 desktop are on right now (although I can still pull from the dvr, it's not actively on looking out itself) and when I try to load ps3 on the main box, it see's no render's available...

Seem's they are only seeing devices that are hardwired on my network, nothing that is connected via wifi... know i've read something about setting up to talk to wifi devices.. but I can't remember details on that... any ideas or thoughts on this?

btw.. I am able to ping from my server to all of my wireless devices on my network... including my android cell phones.. Just can't seem to stream to them via any dlna servers...
SergeantBort

Post by SergeantBort »

after digging, it might all be withing my router... seems like I need to dig into specific settings/configs for it... as there was a suggestion I saw out there for one model older then I have... and that setting just is not there on mine..

Think at this point this is not a linux issue.. go figure about 20 builds to figure that out, lmao.... thanks for helping me past the brick wall, back to the google god.
SergeantBort

Post by SergeantBort »

Just wanted to follow up on this.

I borrowed an old B/G linksys router from my dad a few weeks back to test a separate local wifi network, see if that resolved the issue (after rebuilding the box again because I had tinkered to much on it)

I have Media Tomb, MiniDLNA and PS3MediaServer all on my test Ubuntu Media Server (host with two virtual machines on it at this point) Hooking the box upto my linksys router, setting up a quick no internet wifi, hop on test with my laptop to see if I could connect, and get to my server, that worked, went to my TV, and hooked it up, and was able to see the MediaTomb server right away... currently streaming an MP4 of a BluRay, about 5 gigs for a 2 hour movie, been streaming solid for about 10 minutes, very happy (and actually surprised by a G router)

So now I will configure the base Media Server VM with MediaTomb, and get myself a better router, and configure my home network that way, and only use my ISP's box as a gateway.