Where is my "Add/Remove"?

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
yoram

Where is my "Add/Remove"?

Post by yoram »

While following the installation, the TED installation get to a point where Applications->Add/Remove is required
Somehow, under Applications I only have "Accessories and "Sound and "Sound & Video" anyway to add the missing "Add/Remove"?

Thanks
Yoram
yoram

Re: Where is my "Add/Remove"?

Post by yoram »

Hi
After some digging on the net I reinstalled the gnome installer:

sudo apt-get install gnome-app-install

and the issue is fixed.
Yoram
Ian

Post by Ian »

Nice one Yoram, you beat me to it :oops:

Can I suggest you try Flexget instead of TED. I really should remove TED from my website since it's not a patch on Flexget. Flexget is a little trickier to get up and running but it's MUCH more powerful once you've got it working.

I'm sure we'll be able to help you if you get stuck with Flexget :angel:
yoram

Post by yoram »

I'll give it a shot.
Not so happy with TED anyhow.
After couple of hours playing with it I did not manage to get any download.
Setup of Deluge was, however, straightforward.

What do you think is the best (and secure) way to access my server from the web?

Yoram
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Yoram,

I'm enjoying following your progress :thumbup:
I've no idea how familiar you were before you started this project but you seem to be making good progress. Are you enjoying yourself or are you wishing you never started? :roll:

Anyway, back to your question, to access your server remotely you need a combination of SSH & VNC. If you're not in any desperate rush I intend putting together a how-to so you can follow that rather than try and work it out for yourself.

I'll let you know when I've written it.

Ian.
yoram

Post by yoram »

Hi
I'm playing with the idea of a central home backups server for long time. Lately two of my kids crashed their
computers and lost some data. That itself plus the nights spent rebuilding their
systems finalized the need of that server.
I've tried Linux several times (first one was with the Corel version of linux back in 1999) and lately
with the Ubuntu 10.10 desktop. Although not afraid of terminal mode, being a long time windows user
lacking the Linux know how discouraged me from trying the server edition. Until I stumbled upon
your excellent site. Within days I put my old Athlon 2500 PC to work with a 2TB disk.
Currently, after about a week, using your help :thumbup: I managed to have my server up and running.
Onto it, I moved both storage space and DLNA server that used to reside on my (Windows) PC
I also plan to centralize the downloads (bittorrents) and maybe music as well.
Finally, install backup clients on all of the PCs at home (currently 5) that will store the backups to the server ( additional 2TB)

Thanks to your help, the process of building the server is really fun and fast.
Help is available almost as soon as I post the question and usually I'm flying through the installations in a breeze
Linux is excellent as well. Runs on that 7-8 yr old machine without a hickup

And for my question regarding the remote access, I's more of playing with the system than real need . . . .

Thanks for your help
Yoram
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Yoram,

Glad to hear you're still enjoying it. When I was trying to put mine together I spent countless frustrating hours trying to get even the most simple of things working. I lost count of the number of times I followed a guide I'd found on the internet only to discover it trashed my OS. That really was the inspiration for my website. At first I simply made notes that I could refer to when the inevitable came and I had to rebuild my server from scratch. It then occurred to me that other people out there might be trying to do the same. And luckily they were else I'd have wasted my time learning how to put a website together :lolno:

I've been following your progress on this forum and have been chuffed to see how quickly people have been stepping up offering you help and tips. I think we've got a great bunch of people here. Granted we've not exactly got hundreds of contributors but hopefully that will grow over time. At the moment we've got quality over quantity! :cool:

As and when you've finished configuring yours I hope you can stick around here. You may consider yourself still a newbie but you'll be surprised how much you've learned even in the short time you've been using it and your experience will be invaluable for someone who's a couple of pages behind you in the world of Linux :thumbup:

Thanks

Ian.
yoram

Post by yoram »

Hi Ian
Going couple of posts back, I'm trying to install FlexGet.
The installation passed fine but following your advise to use the Deluge user, I found that there is not any.
May I assume that Delude is using my usual username "yoram"? The configuration is OK and filed are downloading
Going to continue with the FlexGet under the current username and see how it goes

In addition there is no "deluge" directory under /var/lib

Reminder: I'm running 10.10

Thanks
Yoram
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Yoram,

Did you following this guide?

Did you run this command?

Code: Select all

sudo adduser --disabled-password --system --home /var/lib/deluge --gecos "SamRo Deluge server" --group deluge
It doesn't really matter what user id you use to run it to be honest. If it's working fine I'd leave it as it is rather than try and change it to run as the deluge user. You might end up breaking it.
yoram

Post by yoram »

Looks like I messed with the deluge installation.
Since I prefer to "comply" with your guide, I'll give it a second shot and post the results
(probably next weekend)

Yoram