apport blocks upgrades ...or something

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
gmachine24

apport blocks upgrades ...or something

Post by gmachine24 »

Ubuntu 18.04lts headless

I've searched online and I find problems reported with the Ubuntu Apport package - which reports crashes, ironically. But nothing helps me solve my problem.

A couple years ago something broke in my install and I could no longer update it. Then my Logitech Squeezebox died. Then the pandemic happened so I kind of forgot about it. Now I'm trying to resurrect the media server. All attempts to update packages fail and, yes, I should have the error message but I don't at the moment.

However, the problems listed on this thread are pretty much what I have encountered and the error messages are the same:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/865331/ ... ort-2-20-1

All attempts to use the fixes on that thread have failed.

I did a back up before trying to resolve the problem - with fsarchiver. I can restore back to yesterday or several dates in 2019 - before the issue emerged.

Why not just install Ubuntu 20LTS server?? If I could be guaranteed this error will not repeat I can try that.

I've also read a post or two about security issues with apport.

I just downloaded a fresh copy of the Ubuntu 18.04 ISO and used it to install to a different hard drive on that same media server. I had disconnected all attached drives before trying this. I wanted to see if I could update a fresh install or if apport would some how bork that as well. The install went fine and all packages updated without a problem.

Anyway. If you have any ideas I'd love to see them. Thanks.