Setup of FlexGet

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
yoram

Re: Setup of FlexGet

Post by yoram »

Reopened the permissions and it's good

As for the other projects, in time . . . . :)

yoram
yoram

Post by yoram »

Just a short notice
Installed Apache2 on my server and now have access from the web to a default home page.
Domain registration and dynamic DNS are done through D-Link DDNS service (I have a Dir-655 Router). Nice and easy.

Yoram
Ian

Post by Ian »

Nice work Yoram, thanks for sharing :clap:
The_Matrix

Post by The_Matrix »

yoram wrote:Just a short notice
Installed Apache2 on my server and now have access from the web to a default home page.
Domain registration and dynamic DNS are done through D-Link DDNS service (I have a Dir-655 Router). Nice and easy.

Yoram
Hi Yoram,

Is this your wife's website? How are you finding response times when you access it? Do you have a fast internet connection?

Can you now access the whole server from the internet or just the website?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm sure a lot of people will be keen to hear your experiences :)
yoram

Post by yoram »

Lets see . . .

Router and Dynamic DNS server configuration
1. The DIR-655 has the option to report it's address (dynamic) to these dynamic DNS services:
dlinkddns.com or dyndns.com (either custom or free)
2. I've opened an account at http://www.dlinkddns.com and gave it the internal address of my server x.x.x.14
3. I than configured my DIR-655 at Tools->Dynamic DNS and entered my username, password and hostname as set at the
dlinkddns site.
4. In addition I forwarded all HTTP and HTTPS communications (on the router) to my server at x.x.x.14. On the dir-655 menue it's under Advanced->Virtual Server

UBUNTU server setup
1. Installed the apache2 server as instructed on: https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/httpd.html
(did only the very basic, no virtual servers yet . . .)
2. Tried to modify the /var/www/index.html in order to verify that I access the right location but had permission issues
3. Changed the ownership of /var/www to yoram and gave rw permissions to everyone. This cleared the editing of index.html issues
4. Have changed the index,html file

and that's it for web access

I did not try to access other services/servers yet but assume that with proper setup of ports and virtual servers on my router it could be done. I still hesitate to open my home network to the public . . . . :crazy:

To verify the operation of the server/dyndns combination asked a my brother who lives in a different continent to access the server and it went flawlessly

Good luck
Yoram

If you wish to test the access, the site name is levyserver.dlinkddns.com (nothing special there yet. . .)

I think a new thread is requested here. Could you start it? . . .