Putty and VNC

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
Ian

Re: Putty and VNC

Post by Ian »

I've been googling your problem (as I'm fresh out of ideas) and for many people with the same symptoms the problem is network related. When you ping your machines using their hostname does the ip address that comes back tie in with what you think it is?

As a test I would shut down everything on your network. Restart the router then restart only your desktop and the ubuntu machine. Then try pinging from each again and see whether you get the same results.

You don't have to re-install Ubuntu to add samba. Just issue the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install samba
Ian.
Peter James

Re: Putty and VNC

Post by Peter James »

Peter James wrote:I have answered in the quote
Ian wrote:Hmm,

Have you assigned a static ip address to either your ubuntu machine or your w7 machine?My laptop is fixed via mac address on the router, the ubuntu is not fixed but is always assigned the same address?

When using putty are you trying to use the machine name or the ip address to connect? If you ping either machine using their hostnames do you get the correct ip addresses back for both? I have tried both ip and the name and also tried peter@mediaserver

Have you configured a firewall on the Ubuntu server or just left things asis? just left things I dont know enough about ubuntu to play with the firewall settings

Have you encrypted your home directory on the Ubuntu machine? (you'd have been prompted to do this when you installed Ubuntu. Hopefully you answered No) I answered no I chose open ssh but I am considering a reinstall and setting up as Samba ( I researched a little and this seems to be the one recomended to work in a windows environment)

Double-check openssh is installed on the Ubuntu machine. Try issuing this command. It should say that it's already installed: I will double check I am at work now I guess I can install Samba as well as SSH?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install openssh-server
Is there a code for Samba or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Ian.
I reinstalled openssh and I can now connect using putty I cant connect using VNC so I will start from that part of the how to guide thanks Ian