Putty and VNC

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
Peter James

Putty and VNC

Post by Peter James »

Hi

I am completely new to Linux but I have been thinking about dipping my toe in the water for some time, I am familiar with windows and dos so how hard can Ubuntu be? I downloaded 12.04 and installed it as OPENSSH In fact I followed the really useful guide provided by this website. My problems started when I installed putty no matter what I do it will not connect to the server. this didnt deter me I continued with the guide working directly on the server. I installed VNCserver and made the programing changes and the ubuntu boots into a desktop environment, I can see my windows network on the ubuntu server but cant see the ubuntu server on my windows network (I can ping the ubuntu server from the command prompt in windows no problem) but when I use VNC server the server refuses connection putty just fails to connect. I wonder if its something to do with my Virgin Media Hub. I used to have a nice Netgear router until my cable modem failed and the virgin media man only had hubs on board. I searched the forum but cant see a similar problem to mine.

Thanks in advance

Pete
Ian

Re: Putty and VNC

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

Are you running any anti-virus/firewall software on your PC? The blockage might be there. The standard windows firewall should have no issue but are you running Norton or similar? By default, VNC uses TCP port 5900 so you'd need to add this to the 'exception' list in the firewall on your windows desktop. Does
this guide help?.

Putty by default uses port 22.

Any help?

Ian.
Peter James

Post by Peter James »

Ian wrote:Hi there,

Are you running any anti-virus/firewall software on your PC? The blockage might be there. The standard windows firewall should have no issue but are you running Norton or similar? By default, VNC uses TCP port 5900 so you'd need to add this to the 'exception' list in the firewall on your windows desktop. Does
this guide help?.

Putty by default uses port 22.

Any help?

Ian.
Hi Ian

I switched off the firewall still no connection, the only other prog is windows security essentials but thats just an anti virus program
Ian

Post by Ian »

Can you ping your windows desktop from the ubuntu machine?
Peter James

Post by Peter James »

Ian wrote:Can you ping your windows desktop from the ubuntu machine?
I havent tried I can see the windows desktop and my WHS and other machines on the Lan from the server. How do I ping in Ubuntu?
Ian

Post by Ian »

Start a Terminal session (Ctrl + Alt + T) or choose from the menu. Then "ping YourWindowsMachine" in the Terminal Session as per normal. Ctrl + C to stop the ping once you've got a few replies.
Peter James

Post by Peter James »

Ian wrote:Start a Terminal session (Ctrl + Alt + T) or choose from the menu. Then "ping YourWindowsMachine" in the Terminal Session as per normal. Ctrl + C to stop the ping once you've got a few replies.
I shall give that a go shortly and let you know how I get on
Peter James

Post by Peter James »

Ping successful so I can ping my win 7 laptop from the Ubuntu server and I can ping the server from my laptop
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hmm,

Have you assigned a static ip address to either your ubuntu machine or your w7 machine?

When using putty are you trying to use the machine name or the ip address to connect? If you ping either machine using their hostnames do you get the correct ip addresses back for both?

Have you configured a firewall on the Ubuntu server or just left things asis?

Have you encrypted your home directory on the Ubuntu machine? (you'd have been prompted to do this when you installed Ubuntu. Hopefully you answered No)

Double-check openssh is installed on the Ubuntu machine. Try issuing this command. It should say that it's already installed:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install openssh-server
Ian.
Peter James

Post by Peter James »

I have answered in the quote
Ian wrote:Hmm,

Have you assigned a static ip address to either your ubuntu machine or your w7 machine?My laptop is fixed via mac address on the router, the ubuntu is not fixed but is always assigned the same address?

When using putty are you trying to use the machine name or the ip address to connect? If you ping either machine using their hostnames do you get the correct ip addresses back for both? I have tried both ip and the name and also tried peter@mediaserver

Have you configured a firewall on the Ubuntu server or just left things asis? just left things I dont know enough about ubuntu to play with the firewall settings

Have you encrypted your home directory on the Ubuntu machine? (you'd have been prompted to do this when you installed Ubuntu. Hopefully you answered No) I answered no I chose open ssh but I am considering a reinstall and setting up as Samba ( I researched a little and this seems to be the one recomended to work in a windows environment)

Double-check openssh is installed on the Ubuntu machine. Try issuing this command. It should say that it's already installed: I will double check I am at work now I guess I can install Samba as well as SSH?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install openssh-server
Is there a code for Samba or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Ian.