Webmin

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
Peter James

Webmin

Post by Peter James »

Got over my Putty and VNC problem now I am struggling with Webmin. Webmin works, however following the tutorial for setting the server up it says:
So, click Servers -> Samba Windows File Sharing and click on Convert Unix users to Samba users and click on Convert users. Once we've done this we should configure the password for this user. The password for accessing the server via Samba can be the same as the one used to access the server via Putty but we still need to complete this step regardless. So, on the Samba Windows File Sharing screen click Edit Samba users and passwords and then click on the user we've just created. Then check the New password option and enter the required password. Then click Save.
I click servers in Webmin and I only have two options 1 read User Mail, 2 SSH Server? I have installed Samba when I try to install it again it says its already installed

I am guessing it may have something to do with whatb I did or didnt do for this section
Using the gnome desktop: choose System -> Administration and then Synaptic Package Manager from the menus. Type samba in the Quick Search box and then place a check against samba in the list of results returned and click Mark For Installation. Choose any additional packages too if prompted. Next click the Apply button and then the Apply button once again for confirmation.
If you do not have the Synaptic Package Manager installed (it is not installed by default under Lucid or Karmic) then you can install it by issuing sudo apt-get install synaptic from a Terminal or Putty session.

Using the Command Line: another way of installing samba on your server is by typing the following two commands either directly onto your server or via Putty:
I didnt have mark for installation it was greyed out so I reinstalled
Peter James

Re: Webmin

Post by Peter James »

Sussed it I refreshed webmin modules and samba has appeared