Connecting with VNC

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
SergeantBort

Connecting with VNC

Post by SergeantBort »

Okay, well I have done this a few times following your guide, and I decided it was time for a clean wipe and fresh server build, and start my tinkering on virtual machines... since I couldn't get things working right...

I have the machine built, gnome, vnc, webmin all installed on the machine. Static IP is set, have no issue using putty to get to the machine, from any machine on my network. I am able to connect with VNC, but it will not get past this screen.

I did see this screen the last few times I did this build, but it went away after a reboot.. i've rebooted a few times and its been a few days... I am out of ideas on this one... any suggestions? I can rebuild it again at this point, only takes a little to get to this point, so not a huge deal... but this is my second rebuild at this point, had a networking issue on the first one.. but had a similar issue on vnc then too... I am having this issue from multiple systems. Win 8 laptop, win 7 laptop, ubuntu 12.04 netbook
SergeantBort

Re: Connecting with VNC

Post by SergeantBort »

Okay, well, still not sure what caused this. Just sudo apt-get remove both vnc4server and gnome-core

reinstalled both.. kept all the settings and my auto start script still worked... and now it is working fine... very strange, but it worked.. so that's all that matters right?
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

I would've said this was an issue with the contents of the vnc config file but obviously it wasn't. Strange.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted.

Ian.
SergeantBort

Post by SergeantBort »

Ian wrote:Hi there,

I would've said this was an issue with the contents of the vnc config file but obviously it wasn't. Strange.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted.

Ian.
Yeah, I went through that a few times, like I said it's happened on previous builds, but only happened the first time, and resolved itself... very odd, figure something must not have processed correctly in the gnome_core after initializing vnc.....