dhcp3-server

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
yoram

dhcp3-server

Post by yoram »

Hi
I was trying to follow the LTSP installation guide and had troubles restarting the dhcp3-server.
After some digging I found this at "Ask Ubuntu"
The dhcp3-server package has been transitioned to the new-style "ISC" DHCP package. This package is called isc-dhcp-server, and would have been installed when you installed dhcp3-server
Started it with "restart isc-dhcp-server" and got a process ID.

Yoram
Ian

Re: dhcp3-server

Post by Ian »

Hi Yoram, I hope you're keeping well.

Thanks for the info. I'll update my site accordingly :thumbup:

Ian.
pauldmallett

Post by pauldmallett »

Good site, good HowTos and nice fix Yoram. Thanks.
nonprofittech

Post by nonprofittech »

Ian,
I also thought your site was informative. Thanks for taking the time.
In the introduction you say "They assume your Ubuntu desktop/server is performing DHCP duties for your whole network. My ADSL router does that on mine." So I was confused about the step "Restart the DHCP server on the host". My LTSP host doesn't run a dhcp server. I did modify the /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf file as shown in your tutorial. What are you asking to be done.

Thanks again for your work, I hope you are still willing to help after all these years,
Nonprofittech
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Nonprofittech and welcome to the forums.

Yeah, re-reading that guide I don't explain myself very well. The thin clients will be looking to your server to get an address, not your router. Everything else on your network will be getting their addresses from the router. This is why you set the address range for the thin clients to be outside the range dished out by your router.

Hope this helps,

Ian.
nonprofittech

Post by nonprofittech »

Thanks Ian. So there is no dhcp server to be restarted.
I have other problems but this gets me further along.
PansySharp

Post by PansySharp »

Hi...starting with ubuntu 11.04 , the default dhcp server is isc-dhcp-server. The issue is if the call made from SET is hardcoded, then there is not way to fix the issue yourself. I had this issue with easy-creds as well. I had to change it to find the dhcp server version installed.

order pcb