VNC and Synaptic Package Manager problems

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
Wowdude

VNC and Synaptic Package Manager problems

Post by Wowdude »

Hey peoples,

I quite new to Ubuntu. I recently started following the excellently written guide on how to set up a ubuntu media server. However I've run into a few snags. :cry:

Firslty, I've tried the three ways suggested, and another suggested in the forumns, to get VNC server to run upon boot. This includes adding it to rc.local, writing a script and assigning it a run level (but I got access denied half-way through), creating a cron job (failed and I don't know how to set up the mail to find out why), and putting the script into the startup applications. But it still won't work. This is only a minor problem though as I can run it from Putty when I need to use it.

My main problem is that when I attempt to use Synaptic Package Manager, I enter the password, then it dissappears and I get nothing. As far as I am aware it is installed correctly, so I am completely stumped.

Thanks for any help,

Wowdude
Ian

Re: VNC and Synaptic Package Manager problems

Post by Ian »

Hi,

Do you have the letter D in your password per chance? In the newer versions of Ubuntu there is a feature whereby the letter D is a keyboard shortcut. If so, go to System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts. Scroll down to "Hide all normal windows and set focus to the desktop". Is it set to the letter "D"? If so, hit the backspace key on that option to disable it.

Another possible issue I've seen is because the authentication mode is wrong. To fix it type gksu-properties in a Terminal and change the Authentication Mode to sudo and click close.

Does either of the above help?

Ian.
Wowdude

Post by Wowdude »

Hmm, it now seems that I have lost the computer icon from the top right of my VNC Viewer so I cannot navigate to the keyboard shortcuts section, but my passowrd does not contain the letter "D". Also, when attempting to enter the gksu properties it claims it is not installed. What is gksu and do I need it?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Wowdude
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi

gksu-properties as one hyphenated word, so no spaces between gksu, properties and the hyphen. Is that what you're typing?

Ian.
Wowdude

Post by Wowdude »

Yeah, it's saying it's not currently installed. I only installed the server version of Ubuntu.

Wowdude
Wowdude

Post by Wowdude »

*bump* =P
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. What happens when you type sudo synaptic in a Terminal?

Ian.
Wowdude

Post by Wowdude »

Thanks Ian.

I get: "synaptc:1923): Gtk-Warning **! cannot open display:

Thanks for replying =)
Wowdude

Post by Wowdude »

*bump* =)
Wowdude