New Server Build Ubuntu 12.04

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
jachol

New Server Build Ubuntu 12.04

Post by jachol »

Hi Everyone,

My first post ... Just for info my only experience in linux has been confined to browsing, email etc. + some image editing in Gimp (I'm more familiar with Photoshop). That's it.

Re. the server build, I'm on my second attempt following Ian's tutorial ... the install goes fine, installing Gnome apparently goes without hitch, and VNC to seems to install OK, but when I try to access the

remote desktop I'm getting a "failed to connect" message, just once on my first attempt I saw a completely blank desktop which was useless, at this stage I was thinking that maybe Gnome had gone

adrift, and my attempts to reinstall Gnome got nowhere, and eventually I had probably screwed things up royally, hence the second attempt.

Presently the second attempt has no VNC access, Putty and Webmin both work and I can log in no problem. I still have a monitor attached to the server, when I try to log in from the screen I'm getting the

message failed to load session "Ubuntu", as I did originally.

Thoughts, ideas, pointers anyone I don't want to screw up again. ... Jack :think:
Ian

Re: New Server Build Ubuntu 12.04

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

This sounds like a problem with the xstartup. Have you edited it exactly as I've described on this page? Scroll down to the "Ubuntu Version Precise Pangolin 12.04LTS" section.

If you'd like me to give it the once over for you please type the following in a Putty session and paste the output in your next post:

Code: Select all

cat .vnc/xstartup
Ian.
jachol

Post by jachol »

Ian wrote:Hi there,

This sounds like a problem with the xstartup. Have you edited it exactly as I've described on this page? Scroll down to the "Ubuntu Version Precise Pangolin 12.04LTS" section.

If you'd like me to give it the once over for you please type the following in a Putty session and paste the output in your next post:

Code: Select all

cat .vnc/xstartup
Ian.
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the response, I've had that thought myself, and have checked, I'll have another look later, I'm not infallible. ... I'll be busy with the family for the next few hours, got to keep them happy. LOL
... Jack.
jachol

Post by jachol »

Ian,

I've only had a short time to look at this, the editing look good to me (copy below). I'm still at the stage where server screen displays ... Failed to load session "Ubuntu", and I have no VNC access.

#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
unset SESSION_MANAGER
# exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
gnome-session --session=gnome-classic &

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
#x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
#x-window-manager &

I must admit reading blue text on a black background isn't an easy combination for me. ... Jack