Gnome, Packages have umet dependencies?

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
Jabbawocky

Gnome, Packages have umet dependencies?

Post by Jabbawocky »

Hi all.

Completely new to ubuntu. so been following the guide. All was going very will until I installed gnome core and got the message 'the following packages have unmet dependencies' ? It won't let me load vnc4server until I sort this problem.

HELP!!

Cheers Mick
Ian

Re: Gnome, Packages have umet dependencies?

Post by Ian »

Hi Mick and welcome to the forums :thumbup:

Please issue the following commands and let me know what happens:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -f install
Then try and install vnc4server again.

Ian.
ricksebak

Post by ricksebak »

I don't use VNC on my server, so I never actually read the VNC section of the guide until seeing this thread. I noticed that you explained in extreme detail how to use vi (hit insert, :wq to save changes, etc). Very impressed! Most instructions would just say "edit this file" but not actually explain how to edit the file.
Ian

Post by Ian »

ricksebak wrote:I don't use VNC on my server, so I never actually read the VNC section of the guide until seeing this thread. I noticed that you explained in extreme detail how to use vi (hit insert, :wq to save changes, etc). Very impressed! Most instructions would just say "edit this file" but not actually explain how to edit the file.
Hi there,

I know what you mean. Throughout the guides I have tried to explain everything including, as you say, how to edit a file. The downside for some readers though is there's a lot of "noise" to skip through if you already know those basics. But it also helps me to remember too when I'm having a bad day! :oops:

Ian.