Virtual desktop envrionement

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
ElNinja

Virtual desktop envrionement

Post by ElNinja »

Hi there! Great guide to setup a server, working on it currently and hoping to finalise shortly!

However i have a question. Regarding the virtual desktop, i see we are to install Gnome-core which works fine, everything works perfectly. No i was wondering if it is possible to have another enviroment/theme instead of the one that comes up when i VNC into the box.

The reason for this is because i would be messing around ubuntu using vnc as the box is headless and would like a nice theme to go with it!

Can this be done? Does it change anything in the guide as far as vnc is concerned?

Thanks!
Ian

Re: Virtual desktop envrionement

Post by Ian »

Hi there ElNinja and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the kind words about my site.

I'd not even considered adding an additional environment/theme as I was simply using the bog standard desktop just to save learning some commands. However, it is quite simple to do (I just tried it out in response to your question):

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bisigi

sudo apt-get install murrine-themes

sudo apt-get install gnome-themes
To install all themes:

sudo apt-get install bisigi-themes
Hope this helps :thumbup:

Ian.
ElNinja

Post by ElNinja »

Thank you Ian!

So im guessing this downloads a bunch of themes and then i can select them once in the virtual desktop (in what im guessing would be a config section of the desktop?)

Thanks!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Correct. You select them under System -> Preferences.

You can obviously also download extra ones and then install them via the same menu option.
Ian

Post by Ian »

As an alternative you could install a full-blown desktop version of Ubuntu as a VM and keep the core OS install as a headless machine. See my KVM Guide for further details