Mediatomb and PS3 Media Server

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
dalewis62

Mediatomb and PS3 Media Server

Post by dalewis62 »

First of all this is a great site and I have really enjoyed spending the last week or so getting my server going. It has been 10 years since I have worked in a UNIX flavored environment and I cannot believe how much I have both remembered and forgotten...

Now to the problem. I have placed some .avi files and DVD ISO files on the share and Mediatomb finds the .avi files but does not recognize the ISO files. I saw you use ISO files and I would prefer to use them myself so is there a trick to get Mediatomb to recognize this format? Second issue with Mediatomb is that I can see the files on my Netgear 9150 but when I try to play them nothing happens. I dont't think I missed anything in the setup so any ideas in isolating the issue would greatly help.

As another try to play my media I loaded the PS3 Media Server and it recognizes both my ISO and .avi files and will pley the .avi files, WOOHOOO, however it does nothing when I try to play one of my ISO files so again any ideas on the ISO's would be appreciated.
Ian

Re: Mediatomb and PS3 Media Server

Post by Ian »

Hi there and welcome to the forum. It's always good to hear from people who are enjoying the experience. I'm sure there must be an equal number who hated it and have long since given up but I never get to hear from those people. Maybe that's a good thing! :lol:

Are you trying to use the DLNA server just for the EVA9150 or do you have other streamers that rely on it? The reason I ask is the EVA9150 does not really support DLNA so you're better off using SMB or NFS. The EVA supports ISOs natively so there is no fiddling required. Obviously if you've other streamers that do not support SMB/NFS then you need to find a solution.

I've not got a whole lot of experience with tweaking MediaTomb and/or PS3 MediaServer so do not know how to go about getting better support for ISOs. A bit of goggling will come up with a solution I'm sure. One thought would be to use something like winrar or 7-zip to extract the ISOs back to their underlying folders. Not ideal but if there is no workaround in the DLNA software itself then I'm not sure what the alternative is.

Ian.
dalewis62

Post by dalewis62 »

My son has a PS3 that I will be streaming to as well so getting the PS3 server going will be of benifit.... Back to the 9150 I did not have Medistomb or the PS3 server running initially and was just sharing through the SAMBA server, which would allow me to see the share but then the problem was it did not see any of the media files. Could the problem of not seeing files through the share be a permissions issue that could be resolved if I forced authentication?
Ian

Post by Ian »

On the EVA there is a network test (buried under the supervisor menus), what speed does it report for those shares? NA perhaps?
When you say the EVA can see the shares but not any of the meda files can you clarify exactly what you mean please? Can you navigate through folders on the EVA it's just they're empty or do you mean something else?

We'll come back to the PS3 in a mo ;)

Ian.
dalewis62

Post by dalewis62 »

Under the network test it does say NA for the server share. When I say the EVA can seee the shares I mean that when I execute the Advanced Settings->Servers and Shared Folders->Build Network Shares List the EVA will find and report my Media Server Share. Then I goto Select Which Servers to Scan and select my Ubuntu Share and after I perform the scan it will not populate the media lists with the files on my server.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi there, sorry for the delay in replying :oops:

OK, it looks like a permission problem. This is either a problem at the server end or a problem at the EVA end. Or perhaps both.

First off check whether you can browse the share(s) on your server using your desktop computer. If you can't, and are using Webmin to administer your server then go into Samba Windows File Sharing which is under Servers. If you've not already created a samba user then click Convert Unix users to Samba users and click the Convert Users button. Then go back to the Samba Windows File Sharing screen and click Edit Samba users and passwords. Then click New Password and type the required password. Then hit Restart Samba Servers on the main Samba Windows File Sharing screen and try and access the share using your desktop once again.

If all is good then go into the EVA and ensure you're using the same username and password to access the share. Hit the button when on the share to enter the logon credentials.

Does this help?

Ian.
dalewis62

Post by dalewis62 »

THe suthentication was the trick. I tried a couple of things so I am not sure which fixed it but here is the story. I did add usr name and password for the share on the EVA and then in SAMBA I set Guest to YES under Security and Access Control. Now I can move on to why it does not see my DVD .iso files. Thanks for the help.