Ubuntu Install Issue with SSH and Samba

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
parsy

Ubuntu Install Issue with SSH and Samba

Post by parsy »

How do you select ssh and samba during install? I scrolled down to ssh and pressed enter but the install just started without allowing me to select samba. I'm not sure what I've install. How do I check? Or is it best to start again?
Ian

Re: Ubuntu Install Issue with SSH and Samba

Post by Ian »

Hi parsy and welcome to the forum :thumbup:

You press the spacebar during the Ubuntu install to select or de-select an option. If you've already installed Ubuntu then you can simply install these packages afterwards as follows:

For SSH issue the following command. Obviously you'll have to do this using a keyboard attached directly to the server:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install openssh-server
For samba, which you can either do via a keyboard attached directly to the server or via a Putty session after installing SSH above:

sudo apt-get install samba
Before running either of these commands it's always good practise to issue the following command:

sudo apt-get update
Ian.

PS. I've updated my guide to reflect this issue to prevent other users from falling into the same trap as you, so thank you for helping to make my guides better. :thumbup:
parsy

Post by parsy »

Thanks for your reply.

I went ahead and re-installed from the start as I didn't notice your reply. I also noticed second time that it did mention at the bottom of the install page, instructions about pressing the space bar to select. It also confused me slightly about how I could get to the continue command. I had to press tab I think. It also mentioned this at the bottom too but to a very inexperienced person this isn't always obvious.

By the way, I should compliment you on a brilliant website. I'm using an old PC to experiment with (only a 13GB hard drive) but if things go well I'll look into buying better. I tried a few years back but no website I could find explained it and made it as easy as yours.

Now that I've disconnected my monitor, Putty is now telling me that my host doesn't exist. Wierd. I'll do a bit of digging and see if I can fix this myself. If not I'll be back.

Keep up the good work.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks, I'll mention about using the Tab key too.

Re Putty, the first thing to check is that your router can see your new server. Mine takes a while to recognise the server by the Hostname so I have to connect via the IP address the first few times. Might be just my router but thought I'd mention it incase it helps.

Your strategy is the same as mine. I started off with an old computer until I'd got it all working. Then went out and bought the proper kit. Unfortunately I didn't have a decent website to follow so I had a lot of false starts. :roll:
parsy

Post by parsy »

Thanks I'll try that.

It was working with the hostname when I had the monitor connected but my first attempt without and it failed. Oh well, if all else fails I'll get the monitor back out the garage.
parsy

Post by parsy »

Worked out my problem.

My server (old pc) would not boot without a keyboard connected. Had a look in the bios but couldn't see anyway to overcome this.

I've left the keyboard plugged in and stuck it behind the server for now.

Might be worth making a mention of this problem if you think others will have the same issue.

A few other ideas or suggestions:
A glossary of all the commands you mention throughout the website. I have to keep looking them up until I become familiar with them, so putting them on one page with a quick description would be useful.

Finally but maybe the most important. How do you shutdown the server without just pressing the power button. :D

Keep up the good work,
Parsy.
thinmintaddict

Post by thinmintaddict »

hey, you can shutdown the server from the command line (in a PuTTY Session) with this command:

sudo shutdown -h now 
or you can reboot it with:

sudo reboot
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Parsy,

Great suggestions, thank you :clap:

My server complains about the keyboard not being detected but continues anyway. I'm guessing yours said something along the lines of "Keyboard not detected. Hit F1 to continue". :roll:

sudo shutdown -h now
to shutdown your server.

EDIT: Ah, thinmintaddict slipped in there whilst I wasn't looking :lol:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Parsy,

Incase you're not aware already hitting the cursor-up arrow in a Putty session will bring up the commands you've typed previously. :thumbup:
parsy

Post by parsy »

Thanks Ian. I found that by accident!! It's a steep learning curve.