Creating Recording Groups in Mythtv

Discussion and Technical Support for general software applications and utilities including OS related issues.
MAH

Creating Recording Groups in Mythtv

Post by MAH »

Hi,

Thanks for the guide. :clap:

I'm having an issue trying to create recording groups in myth tv. I've found the area for creating a new group (this seems to have changed from the guide), however once the virtual keyboard appears, I type in the new name, press enter and everything seems Ok, except the new group doesn't become available for use.

Has anyone been able to create a new group successfully?

I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 and mythtv 0.24.

Cheers
Ian

Re: Creaqting Recording Groups in Mythtv

Post by Ian »

Hi MAH and welcome to the forum. :thumbup:

I'll double-check my guide and update as required. I found with the latest release of MythTV that you can't actually see what you're typing when you add a new Recording Group. Possibly the font colour is the same as the background :?

Anyway, I found that if you select a particular recording and then add a group for it it works. It doesn't seem to work tho if you try and add more than one recording group at the same time. ie. if you add a second group to the same recording the first one is ignored and does not get added.

Is that what you're seeing? I'll have another fiddle when I get a chance (my server is temporarily out of action at the moment) and update this post if required.

Ian.
MAH

Re: Creating Recording Groups in Mythtv

Post by MAH »

Thanks for your reply. Sorry it's taken so long to get back I've been having problems getting the website to load. I've changed my DNS server and it seems to have resolved the issue.

I've now been able to create a group, as you say the text doesn't show up, VNC doesn't always seem to show all the desktop,however using the VNC app on my ipod sorted the problem.

Did you know that the rename code has been replaced?

Thanks for your help.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi MAH,

Yeah, my site and forum have been playing up. I thought I'd been hacked but it was all sorted out by the time I reported it to my provider and my registrar so I think it was a problem at their end generally rather than with my site specifically. However, another chap is still seeing issues so it's not quite back to normal yet.

Can you explain more about the VNC problem with your desktop? Maybe I can help you resolve that.

Re the rename code, do you mean the MythTV script to rename the TV Shows? If so, I do know about that already actually. I've been holding off refreshing the whole MythTV section on my site since I'm struggling with a re-encoding problem at the moment (have been for months actually :roll: ) Once I've got that cracked I'll completely revisit the MythTV guides since I've not updated them following the new releases of Ubuntu and MythTV.
MAH

Post by MAH »

When I changed by DNS server in my router to google 8.8.8.8 the website came back OK.

On the VNC front. When I logon I'm only getting a blank screen, no menus or drives being shown. Resubmitting the vncserver command via putty seems to have sorted the problem, although I haven't restarted my server since, so don't know if it's the cron job that's the issue. I will test this sometime this week to find out.

On the Mythtv front. Yes the job to rename the files, there is a new one available, although I haven't had time to try it out yet.

Anyway keep up the good work, I've enjoyed building my server from a old PC aand actually getting it to work.

Cheers :thumbup:
Ian

Post by Ian »

I trust you're aware that when you re-issue the vncserver command on the server it opens a new desktop instance? So, if you issue it twice you connect to the 2nd instance by typing YourServerName:2 in the TightVNCViewer? The first one is available by typing YourServerName:1. Just thought I'd mention it :)

The new rename command works very much like the old one except the defaults have changed. I can't remember off hand the exact differences since I no longer use it as I'm trying to get the ffwd and rewind working properly when viewing via my streamers.

Glad to hear you're having fun with your old pc. That's how I started off. You get quite a sense of achievment putting old kit to a new use. That was my first exposure to Ubuntu. And it all snowballed from there :roll: