Broken Server with CPUTempShutdown.sh

trickyguy

Broken Server with CPUTempShutdown.sh

Post by trickyguy »

Hi all

First off this an amazing website as i am a linux newbee and have fun doing this project

I have had the server running and decided to put it in the closet so I tried setting up the CPUTempShutdown.sh and put the script as a cron job and now server just shuts down as soon as it boots and i am at a loss as what to do to get back into the server to fix it

All help will be greatly appreciated
Ian

Re: Broken Server with CPUTempShutdown.sh

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

Hold down the left shift key when the server is booting to bring up the GRUB menu. From there hit the letter "c" to go to command line. From there you can rename/edit/delete the offending script.

If hitting the shift key doesn't work try hitting the Esc key repeatedly or maybe even the Tab key.

Good luck :thumbup:

Ian.
trickyguy

Post by trickyguy »

Hi Ian

Thanks for your help but it seams i can get to GRUB menu but monitor says signal out of range so cant see anything

Thanks
Ian

Post by Ian »

Oh wow. I'm not sure what to suggest other than try connecting the monitor to a different port or trying a different monitor?

Ian.
trickyguy

Post by trickyguy »

Ok so got that problem fixed with google on my side it is so easy now grub doesn't recognise rm any clues as to what else will be
Ian

Post by Ian »

You'll need to enter the full path for rm. I'm not at my computer at the moment so cannot tell you where that is but google will know :-)

Ian.
DaveyB

Post by DaveyB »

I'm assuming that the OP has fixed the problem by now, but for anyone else with a similar problem, simply boot from a Ubuntu Live CD and edit the script from the CD based OS. Don't delete the script, since you want to figure out where you went wrong, but you could comment out the entire script and rescue the server that way!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Good suggestion Davey, I'm kicking myself for not thinking of that one :oops: