Monitor critical temperatures in Ubuntu Server

Ian

Re: Monitor critical temperatures in Ubuntu Server

Post by Ian »

That looks good to me :thumbup:

There is a line in the script which says "sensors" all on its own. Just below this section

Code: Select all

echo ''
echo 'CPU Warning Limit set to => '$1
echo 'CPU Shutdown Limit set to => '$2
echo ''
echo ''
You can now mask it out by prefixing it with a # or just delete the line completely.

Then you're good to go :thumbup:

By the way, you've got a very cool CPU running there ;)

Ian.
scorpionvenomm

Post by scorpionvenomm »

cheers pal i really appreciate all your help im new to linux so no experience at all but i really like it thank you very much
:) ye its an i3 2100t have it in a fractal R4 case very silent case :)
Ian

Post by Ian »

No problem at all :thumbup:

That's a nice looking case. Do you have it full with drives yet? :twisted:

Ian.
scorpionvenomm

Post by scorpionvenomm »

i have 3 3TB drives but one of the drives is not on yet i have it in RAID 1 so i was thinking of using the 3rd drive to back up the raid using tar ? would you recommend that

say if i wanted to test to see if i get the warning message would i have to just change the warning temps in the php ?
ive done a little php but not a lot in college
Ian

Post by Ian »

Is there any reason why you didn't choose RAID 5 (eg SNAPRaid with 1 parity drive)? With your configuration you'll have 3TB+ of "usable" space, assuming your 3rd drive was used mainly to store the TAR file(s). If you went with RAID 5 then you'd have 6TB of usable space? There's absolutely nothing wrong with your chosen setup by the way, I'm just curious.

With that Temperature Warning script you can either call it via a Terminal session with a lower "warning" temperature or just change that parameter in the cron job.

Ian.
scorpionvenomm

Post by scorpionvenomm »

Hi Ian how are you no i just went RAID 1 thinking 2 drives then the third to backup thats all why do u think RAID 5 would be better plus would it be a hassle to do RAID 5 start all over again ?

oh so i can sort it in the cron job cool :) happy days
and i have that message.txt i have everything named the same as that guide on this site,is that in the right place the msg.txt ? i made the msg.txt myself and put it in myScripts is that correct ?

another quick question :) what about the hard drive when it goes over the temp i dont have a message for that is it the same process as the CPUTempShutdown ? sorry about all the questions :)
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

I'm not suggesting you change your RAID setup I was just curious. There's nothing wrong with what you have so if you're happy with it then stick with it. You're right in that if you want to change from RAID 1 to something else then chances are you'd have to wipe your drives and start over.
scorpionvenomm wrote:and i have that message.txt i have everything named the same as that guide on this site,is that in the right place the msg.txt ? i made the msg.txt myself and put it in myScripts is that correct ?
Yup ;)
scorpionvenomm wrote:another quick question :) what about the hard drive when it goes over the temp i dont have a message for that is it the same process as the CPUTempShutdown ? sorry about all the questions :)
You can use the same message text file if you like. Basically you just want to receive an email to say it's shut itself down.

Ian.
scorpionvenomm

Post by scorpionvenomm »

ah fairplay Ian you've been a lifesaver big time and i really appreciate all the help, I'd of been lost big time thanks

Yeh RAID 5 means ill have another 3TB of space but what about backup as RAID is not backup.

thats cool ill just add that script for the hdd and name it msg1.txt and add it to my MyScripts folder ? even if the cron job is for the root ? ill show u a pic of my cron thanks Ian
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-02-02 at 21.07.06.png
Screen Shot 2014-02-02 at 21.07.06.png (106.32 KiB) Viewed 3443 times
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

Your cron job appears to be running every hour. Ideally you want to run it more often than that (having a drive sit there at 60+°C for up to an hour would not be good.) If you want it to run every minute then check the "Times and dates selected below" option and leave all check boxes beneath it on All.

You're right in that RAID is not a backup but SnapRAID is more of a backup than traditional RAID. If you accidentally delete a file or mess it up for example, you can simply retrieve a backup of it from the array.
If I may be picky, if your server suffers a powersurge and your 3 drives inside it get fried then you've not got a backup either :lol:
But seriously, go with whatever strategy you feel comfortable with.
With my setup, all photos (and other non-replaceable files) are backed up on a 1TB USB drive which is stored elsewhere. Some stuff is also on the cloud too. Everything else relies on the RAID array for protection.

Ian.
scorpionvenomm

Post by scorpionvenomm »

Hey Ian hows things thanks for getting back to me.

ye your right on the cron job ive changed it and highlighted all minutes in blue and saved it and left everything else as normal :)

how would i go about say take out the third drive and put it into my gaming pc and then start backing up my server from there ?
as does make sense what if the server totally failed then im doomed lol really with my backups but if its external least i have mine there i guess :)
very good point

Another question :) how would you setup email alerts so i would know a hard rive has failed as RAID 1 just takes over and keeps going so i wouldn't know the hard drive has failed cheers Ian :)