Any interest in a canned virtual appliance?

ricksebak

Any interest in a canned virtual appliance?

Post by ricksebak »

I know that for some folks (me included), half the fun of having a media center / home server is building it and configuring it. And for folks who want to learn Linux, building a media center / home server is a great way to do that. But I wonder if there are folks who don't care about building it and just want to use it? Even though Ian's guide is awesome, there are people who won't go within 10 miles of the command line, and those folks are gonna bail on the guide before they even start, probably.

If someone were to put together a VM that had pretty much everything in Ian's guide already done, is there any interest in that? I'm thinking of n00bs or people who don't really care about learning/building to be able to download an OVA file, import it into VirtualBox or whatever they want, and the whole thing is already done. Deluge, Flexget, Plex, etc, already running. With bonus points for a script or webUI or something for any parts that need to be user configurable.

Thoughts?
Ian

Re: Any interest in a canned virtual appliance?

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

That sounds like a great idea and I'm sure plenty of people will go for that. Personally I wouldn't know where to start building something like that tho :oops:

Ian.