In need of some help!!

Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

In need of some help!!

Post by Andy Horn »

Hey guys.
First off a big thanks to Ian for writing a wonderful quide.

A quick run down of my servers specs.

1. Some sort of Packard Bell main board.
2. Socket 775 P4 HT 3.0GHz CPU.
3. 512Mb of DDR2 RAM to be upgraded when cash allows.
4. 1x 4Gb SSD DOM as the boot drive.
5. 1x 160Gb Samsung SATA HDD mainly for testing back ups.
6. 2x 300Gb Western Digital Raptors (10,000 rpm aka Jenson and Lewis!!)
7. 1x PCIe Gigabit NIC.

My problem is that after following Ian's guide is that when I mount my drives and share them there capacity is not showing up in my Mac or XP when the drives are mapped.

So how do I add my drives to my shares or vise-versa?, there seems tobe no mention of how to do this here http://www.havetheknowhow.com/Configure ... rives.html or here http://www.havetheknowhow.com/Configure ... lders.html.

Please help as I am going mad :crazy: not been able to get this working, I am sold on Ubuntu server apart from this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Andy
Ian

Re: In need of some help!!

Post by Ian »

Hi,

Are you saying that you can read from and write to the mapped drives but when you right-click on a mapped drive and select "properties" it doesn't show the picture of how much space is used/free? If so, that's normal with networked drives.

Or is your question something else?

Ian.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Hi Ian.

I think you misunderstand me, when I connect to my server from my Mac it is only showing 1.39Gb available which the free space on the boot drive and the same if I map the drive in XP, my network drives show the free space correctly.

I know I am doing something wrong in either share's config or the mount config, when you share a folder do you link it to the mount point or not?

Cheers

Andy
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Andy, sorry I must be being thick. :?
Andy Horn wrote:when I connect to my server from my Mac it is only showing 1.39Gb available which the free space on the boot drive and the same if I map the drive in XP
What are you seeing the 1.39GB in? Are you using windows explorer, webmin, putty or something else?
Andy Horn wrote:my network drives show the free space correctly.
OK, so are these the drives mentioned in points 5 & 6 in your first post?

When you mount a drive (or more accurately a partition on a drive) in Ubuntu you can specify any mount point. Say I'm using "/media/drive1" as the mount point for your 160GB Samsung. When you come to share this drive on your network you can either share the whole drive/partition in which case the "Directory to share" in the Webmin UI will be "/media/drive1". Or you can share only a portion of this drive/partition. For example "/media/drive1/somefolder/downhere". This means obviously that you won't be able to see anything residing in "/media/drive1/someotherfolder"

Does this make sense or am I still confused by what you're asking?

Ian.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Hi Ian

Yes the drives, or should I say the "filesystems" as that is the correct terminology are 5 & 6.

If I "Map Network Drive" in XP and view the drive through Windows explorer I get a total size and free space which equal 1.39Gb, it is the same on the Mac similar idea just done differently and the Mac will see my server via NFS under Go/Computer.

I can log onto the server from Mac and XP, make folders and such like, but a server with 1.39Gb is a bit daft!!.

I will have another go and report back.

Thanks

Andy
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

I've got it all sorted now and I figured out VNC so that is a bonus.
Now to configure FTP and Apache for a web server.
And I need to replace the NIC as I keeps dropping connection.

Thanks for your help Ian

Andy
Ian

Post by Ian »

That's good to hear Andy. Just curious but what was the problem?

Ian.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Hi Ian

It was me been a bit thick!!

I didn't create the paths to the drives or filesystems correctly-been nursed my Microsoft for far too long :roll: .

Now I am looking to upgrade the hardware so I can run KVM and use a larger boot drive, my IDE SSD is great but it is only 4Gb so there is not much room to run the KVM stuff.

Thanks again Ian, no doubt I will be asking for more help somewhere down the road.

Andy