Live TV

ncampbell83

Live TV

Post by ncampbell83 »

Hello!

Just want to say what an excellent site, and ask one question.

Can this system be used to stream live tv to all the tv's too? (provided i put enough tuners in of course).

If this workd i was considering putting in 4 x DVB-T2 tuners (to cover high/low band vertical and horizontal), and 6 x DVB-T tuners to cover all the MUX's.

Thanks for the great website!

Neil
Ian

Re: Live TV

Post by Ian »

Hi Neil,

My setup does not stream Live TV from the server I'm afraid. When I was starting to put the thing together it was definitely on my todo list but I never managed to work out exactly how I could achieve it. There are a couple of challenges that got the better of me, namely how to switch channels and secondly how to get the signal itself from the server to the TV. Basically I failed at the first hurdle! :lol:

My setup is as follows: each TV has a digital tuner built in (or has an add-on box for my remaining analogue TVs). In addition there is a feed from my sky box (so a TV can switch to the sky channel coming out of the sky box and watch that). In addition I have a streamer connected to each TV and from there can watch TV recordings. My server is constantly recording TV shows and these are stored on the server (as mpeg files). These are then playable via the streamers just as you would play ripped media (DVDs, blu-rays etc).

Streaming live TV around the home is still something that intrigues me and so if you find out how to do it then please do share :thumbup:

Ian.
ncampbell83

Post by ncampbell83 »

Cheers for replying Ian.

I have the same, Freeview in all rooms and TV link from one SKYHD box (currently only receiving the family pack and free HD channels)

We hardially watch any subscription channels any more due to work commitments so are looking for a free PVR alternative but both Freeview and Freesat have their limitations and each carries channels the other doesnt!

I stumbled accross this website

http://angrytechnician.wordpress.com/20 ... r-network/

It seems if i can find a streamer for each TV which allows you to watch a stream from an IP address, it may be possible. Its finding a streamer that will do this and i certainly dont have the money to keep trying them and many sellers (even on ebay) dont list many specifications about their devices!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks for the link sir, I'll have a read through it. :thumbup:

I know the question about streaming from an IP address has come up with regards the streamers I own but I cannot remember what the answers were :oops:

We rarely watch anything live these days as we prefer to watch stuff when it's convenient to us rather than watch stuff as it's broadcast. Plus of course we can ffwd through the ads. ;)

The problem with live TV is rarely is there anything decent to watch when we eventually sit down in front of the TV :roll:

Ian.