adding separate hard drive to kvm?

pre12164

adding separate hard drive to kvm?

Post by pre12164 »

First i would like to say thanks for taking the time to look at this and sorry if it has been answered already but i cant seem to find it or dont understand it. What i have don or am trying to do is strictly use my SSD as a boot and main applications and store everything else, movies, songs, pics ect on a 4tb hard drive. For the life of me i cant seem to figure this out through kvm. Do i need to use NFS and attach that to KVM and then use SAMBA SHARES to connect to the kvm host with the NFS?

Thanks Lee
pre12164

Re: adding separate hard drive to kvm?

Post by pre12164 »

i have made progress but still not certain im going in the right direction. I was able to use NFS on the server to mount the directory in the guest. However when i create a file i can see it on the host side but not in the guest.? In the guest i was able to use samba and get my windows machine to see the drive and folder that i had created on the host. The problem that the computers connecting can only see the folders and cant save to them. i am assuming its some sort of permision thing but it dont know if it is with the NFS on the host side or with samba on the guest side?

Thanks lee
carlo1775

Post by carlo1775 »

have you figured this out yet? i have the same problem

OS on an SSD

3 extra hard drives i plan to use for storage.

I created a VM on the host but am not sure on how to get the guest to see the host's 3 extra hard drives.

What did you end up doing?
kaudley

Post by kaudley »

Setup an NFS or CIFS server on the host, share out your storage directory - connect your guest to the share via samba or nfs client for your guest.

Server - install samba server and use webmin to create a fully writable share to everyone.

Client - connect to share via samba client if linux or network places if windows you should be able to write with no problems.

Only use NFS if using linux guests - though you'll probaby find it easier to just use samba/CIFS.