Is the Cloud the end of the home media server?

pete66

Is the Cloud the end of the home media server?

Post by pete66 »

Hi everyone,

As per the question really. More and more these days I see these companies offering storage "in the cloud". Do you think home media servers will be a thing of the past and people will store everything up there? If so, when do you think that'll happen?

Why aren't you "in the cloud" too?

cheers,

Pete.
Case: Antec Three Hundred
Motherboard: Motherboard GA-P55A-UD4P.
Processor: Intel Core i5 750 Processor 2.66 GHz
Memory: Corsair 4GB
Hard Drives: Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB for OS. 2 * 2TB SAMSUNG HD204UI for movies and music
synergenerator

Re: Is the Cloud the end of the home media server?

Post by synergenerator »

I think for me, the Home Media Server (which I am still in the midst of configuring and just started 2 weeks ago) has given me two valuable bits over any cloud option: a) greater/finer control over media consumed & b) a tremendous learning experience! I don't see the presence of the cloud obsoleting control freaks or geeks ever!
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

My thoughts on this are if you lost internet connection you have no way of accessing your media.

I do not like the idea of my media not been under my direct control, example my family photos are our's I do not want some unauthorised entertity accessing my photos.

How long would it take to upload a 25gig Blu-Ray rip?

Andy
Ian

Post by Ian »

Interesting question. I think the likes of Netflix have a good following because they offer something simple. No ripping, no faffing, you just choose something from a menu and hit the GO button.

But I won't be signing up just yet. Maybe once it's hard to buy the physical DVDs/Blu-Rays in a store then I'll perhaps think differently. Or maybe I'll just continue watching what will be "classics" by then :roll:

Ian.