Book "Ubuntu Unleashed"

n2o2diver

Book "Ubuntu Unleashed"

Post by n2o2diver »

Today I bought the book Ubuntu Unleashed. I just finished reading the first 4 chapters. So far I am very glad I bought it. I know (knew) nothing about Linux based Operating Systems so it its very helpful for me. I have set up my primary desktop to dual boot Ubuntu and Windows. I will let everyone know what I think of the book as I go through it.

Chapters 1-3 were your typical blah blah blah here is how you install it, update it and what GNOME desktop looks like.
Chapter 4 starts getting to the meat. This chapter has been great for me, it covers Command Line, File System and Permissions which I knew nothing about. Following Ian's guide was a piece of cake...cut and paste the command lines, but now...ah ha, I know what we were doing. I love it when the light bulb comes on. :idea:

I'm looking forward to the Chapters on Ubuntu Server obviously but I have decided to read it through cover to cover.

Let me point out that this book is not needed to set up and run Ubuntu Server. I managed to do that in very little time simply following the outstanding guide Ian has provided and getting some extra help from this fantastic forum. I just wanted to know more about what I am doing and what I could be doing. I'm really enjoying this adventure. I like reading books more than reading off of the computer screen that's why I dished out the $50 for a book. Something about a big massive book sitting on the shelf looks impressive too.

My goal is to be able to hopefully help someone out on here some day as others have so generously help me.

Thanks for reading my dribble
Sean
Ian

Re: Book "Ubuntu Unleashed"

Post by Ian »

Hi Sean,

It sounds like you're sold on Ubuntu then ;)

Glad to hear you're finding the book useful. I shied away from buying books on Ubuntu for fear they'd teach me lots of stuff I didn't need to know. That said, I'd imagine I've wasted hundreds of hours scouring the internet trying to find out stuff that is probably written in that book you have.

You'll be surprised just how quickly you'll gain enough knowledge to be able to help people so your goal is not too far away :thumbup:

Ian.