Raspberry Pi

fpp

Re: Raspberry Pi

Post by fpp »

I wonder if this OpenELEC is capable of digital music output through the USB port, to an external DAC, like regular desktop Linux does.
That would be a killer feature.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

I wonder if this OpenELEC is capable of digital music output through the USB port, to an external DAC, like regular desktop Linux does.
That would be a killer feature.
May it would worth while asking this question over at http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

There is some very talented people over there.

Any one on here got their slice of Pi?

Andy
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

I ordered mine yesterday 17/05/2012 and I can't wait to start tinkering with it. Not had a project since my server build and I need a fix.

It should here in about 3 weeks YAY.

Andy
Ian

Post by Ian »

Nice one Andy, I for one am looking forward to hearing what you think of it once you've had a chance to play with it :thumbup:

Ian.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

OpenELEC looks very interesting along with XBMC. Many Pi owners are saying that the device is a little on the slow side, I'm sure the software dev's will tweaking things for a bit more speed.

The main reason for getting a Pi is for my 10 year old son, to try and get him into writing code, Mike is always saying that he want's to make games when he grow's up so I think the Pi will be ideal, if he breaks the OS it will be a case of swapping the SD card and all will be well again.

Andy
n2o2diver

Post by n2o2diver »

My Raspberry Pi's showed up today. Too bad I leave for Holiday tomorrow. I don't have time to mess with them. Oh well, I waited this long!
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Got my slice of Pi yesterday, but work commitments are getting in the way at the moment, although I am attempting to install Debian on an 8GB SD card ready for the big plug in.

Andy
n2o2diver

Post by n2o2diver »

I got one Pi from Element 14 on Thursday
I got one Pi from RS today on Friday

Today I got another email from Element 14 saying my Pi just shipped

That is going to be(3) three? Ooopps I think I may have been clicking to many times during the mad rush to order one.

I wonder how many I'm going to get. If I get any more coming in I may be selling them! Two was all I really wanted.

I'm glad to be going on Holiday, but really want to start messing with this Pi. One is going to be my HTPC hopefully running XBMC. Not sure what I will do with the others? any suggestions?
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Installed my SD card with Debian installed, plugged everything and it booted up straight away and after I logged on and typed "startx" I was greeted by the desktop.

Plenty of people state that the RPi is very slow and unusable, I found it to be acceptable given the specs of the device.

I have since installed ssh and vnc, I have also resized the partitions on the SD card so I know have a 7.8GB main partition and a 128MB swapfile.

RaspberryMC is installed on another SD card for when I have a little more time to tinker with it.

I can see me ordering more SD cards from Play.com for the different distros that wil be available for the Pi in the coming months, I am particularly looking forward to RISC OS been ported for the Pi.

More when I have some spare time.

Andy
n2o2diver

Post by n2o2diver »

Thanks for posting your experience with the Pi Andy. I just got back from Holiday and I'm itching to play with it. I have to purchase a cable or two first to hook it up. Unfortunately it is late and I have to work in the morning. Damn Job! It messes up all my plans.