A few questions

A few questions

Post by Guest »

Hi, this is the most comprehensive, and most clearly written guide on setting up a home media server I've seen. Thank you! I do have a few question, though. Forgive me if you've already covered them.
1) what RAID level do you use?
2) Are there advantages to using KVM over something like virtualbox or vmware?
3) In connecting to Windows via thin clients, What kinds of limitations are there? I assume I wouldn't be able to watch online videos (e.g., like Netflix instant play here in the states, which is only available for Windows and Mac OS) or playing video games via the a thin client.
Ian

Re: A few questions

Post by Ian »

Hi,

Thanks for your kind comments. When I was struggling to put my server together I realised there was not such a guide out there. Hence my site.

To answer your questions (albeit badly!):

1). I’m using T+1 for FlexRAID
2). For a more comprehensive answer you might be better off with google but KVM is part of the kernel and therefore operates at a lower level than Virtualbox and uses less resources since it is a true virtualisation technology rather than a "fake" one. It allows better sharing of the host devices than virtualbox. I couldn’t get vmware to work properly so went for KVM. I decided on what to go for a couple of years ago so my understanding of it all is a bit rusty and probably out of date! Google is your friend.
3). For thin clients graphics intensive apps are your main limitation if you’re using something like VNC as the “viewer”. That said, much work has been done on developing dedicated thin clients. Again, google for more info. I simply use my virtual machines as scratch OSes. Rather than install some dross on my own desktop I install it on a virtual OS. Once I’ve finished with it I wipe the OS and start over. Keeps my desktop OS nice and speedy.
My family use theirs just for emails, surfing and the like. No gaming.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the response! I'm taking a closer look at FlexRAID, it sounds interesting. By the way, on your FlexRAID page, the link to find out more about FlexRAID, http://www.openegg.org/FlexRAID.curi
Is broken (page does not exist).
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks. Since putting that page together the author of FlexRAID has launched a new site. Many of the google results still point to that old site but there is no corresponding page on the new site. I'll update my links once he has finished putting together his new site. For now you can see it here: http://www.openegg.org/

Post by Guest »

I've got another question or two regarding media on your media server. What programs do you use to rip your CD's, DVD's and Blu-Ray's? Also, in what format are your ripped DVD's and Blu-Ray's? I assume if one wants to be able to be able to access all of a DVD's features, it would have to be stored as an ISO? I've got stacks of CD's and DVD's waiting for me to rip once I build my server.
Ian

Post by Ian »

CDs->Exact Audio Copy to FLAC
DVDs/Blu-Rays-> DVDFab (the free version) to ISO. You don't have to rip as ISO, you just have to rip leaving the menus intact if you want them in the final rip. ISOs are neater (less files) and so I rip them that way.

Every rip is a direct 1:1 copy of the original. Nothing added, nothing taken away.