Vnc cannot connect

incadar

Vnc cannot connect

Post by incadar »

i am a newbie at this and have checked the file many times, i can see VNC has started in putty but when i try from win7 running vnc client, i just get cannot connect to server? webmin is working and i have installed gnome

any command to check if vnc or gnome are actually running ok?

Great webpage by the way.
n2o2diver

Re: Vnc cannot connect

Post by n2o2diver »

I'm really new at this too, but are you entering the server name and password correctly, cap lock on?
incadar

Post by incadar »

thx but i dont get an option to enter these i just get a dialogue box immediately saying cannot connect to
n2o2diver

Post by n2o2diver »

In windows, when you go to "network" does the server show up? I would think it should be, because you said Webmin was working, is that right?
Im not at home to look over mine and I'm not sure I'd be much help anyway. Someone will be along shortly and help you sort it out I'm sure.
I can remember having a problem with getting VNC to run. I could not get it to run the first way described in the guide. It only worked after I set it up as a cronjob in Webmin. I think it was the last way he described getting it to start.
I followed this page for the script then at the bottom of the page for the cronjob.

http://www.havetheknowhow.com/Configure ... -boot.html
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi,

After having run the command in Putty to start the vnc session (vncserver -geometry 1280x1024 -depth 24) issue the following command:

Code: Select all

ps -ef | grep vnc
You should get a whole lot of output come back but amongst it you should see something like:

Xvnc4 :1 -desktop MediaServer:1 (htkh) -auth /home/htkh/.Xauthority -geometry 1280x1024 -depth 24 -rfbwait 30000 -rfbauth /home/htkh/.vnc/passwd

Do you see anything like that?

From the above you can see I would enter MediaServer:1 in the vnc viewer on my desktop. You could alternatively try using the IP address of your server instead. So, 192.168.1.50:1. Note the :1 on the end for both methods.

Any help?

Ian.
incadar

Post by incadar »

Hi Ian

thank-you, that did the trick, working fine now!!