Cannot Connect to Guest

Ian

Re: Cannot Connect to Guest

Post by Ian »

Hi,

I don't use anything now since I've ditched my PS3 as a media streamer. All my streamers access content on my server using Samba/NFS.

PS3MediaServer gets good reviews and a few guys on this forum have also tried other "servers" with equal success.

Give PS3MediaServer a try or have a nose round the forum for other recommendations.

Ian.
csenciboy

Post by csenciboy »

I'm getting the same issue as expirobo was at original post. However, I can't seem to fix it.

I am running 10.04 w/ KVM properly installed on host. I followed the Network Bridge tutorial exactly. Since I'm using DHCP reservations in my router to give host a consistent IP, I set up /etc/network/interfaces per the DHCP settings. I was able to create a VM and have it running. My Win7 machine does not see the guest when it's running, and a ping to its IP returns "destination host unreachable." I also installed webmin successfully on the guest but can't access it from the browser.

Any ideas? Oh I did remove the static IP lines from the MyVMBuilder script before creating the VM. With DHCP reservations, should I be treating this as a static IP? Thanks in advance.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

I presume your windows 7 machine can see the host without issue? Have you installed Webmin on the host and can you access webmin from the windows 7 machine?

Have you tried using putty to connect to the host and then pinging the guest from that putty session? If so, does that work?

Just trying to eliminate your windows 7 machine as being the issue.

Do you have VNC running on the Host machine?

Ian.
csenciboy

Post by csenciboy »

Yes, SSH, Webmin, and VNC are all running perfectly on the host. I used VNC to access the guest's shell since I couldn't get thru in putty. Win7 sees the host and its samba shares just fine, too.

I did not attempt to ping the guest from within putty on the host. Didn't really think of it. I did try to ping it from the command prompt in Win7. I can see the guest in my router's DHCP table. It was assigned an IP of 192.168.1.106. The host is 192.168.1.111.

It will be a few hours before I'm home to attempt that ping. I will update this with my results. Thanks!

UPDATE: ping of guest from terminal session inside host returned "destination host unreachable." I do have VMM installed but not sure what i should be looking for in it.
Last edited by csenciboy on March 6th, 2012, 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Post by Ian »

If you're using VNC on the host then try installing Virtual Machine Manager on it (sudo apt-get install virt-manager). Then you can start the guest using VMM and see the guest in a "Putty Window". You can then delve into it and find out what's going on.
csenciboy

Post by csenciboy »

Ok, so this is now a solved issue for me, but one question still lingers...

I probably had my VM's set up correctly in the first place. I couldn't connect to my guests with putty, VNC, or webmin by NAME. However, once I thought to try it using the IP ADDRESS, each service worked without a hitch. Any idea why this would be? Is it a router issue?
Ian

Post by Ian »

This could be just be a timing issue (you didn't wait long enough) or your WINS server is not working properly. Often the router handles that but you may have it configured differently, either intentionally or unintentionally.

When I set a new guest up it can take a while for the name of it to start working. You could try switching off everything that is connected to your router and then turning your router off. Wait 30 seconds and then turn your router back on. Once it's fully booted up turn everything else back on.

Ian.
csenciboy

Post by csenciboy »

this had still been bothering me so i decided to research it further. based on what i've read, i was always able to connect (VNC, putty, etc) to my physical server using hostname because it was running samba. apparently samba resolves hostnames for WINS. my VM and my other ubuntu box are sharing files via NFS so I never installed samba. people said i could edit the /etc/hosts file on each machine to include a list of all the IP's and hostnames, and this would resolve. however, that requires editing multiple files each time something changes. Plus, I only intend to access my servers from my Win7 machine, so i didn't bother to edit those files on the servers. instead, i edited the hosts file in C:/Windows/System32/Drivers/etc. Now i can SSH into my boxes without having to remember the damn IP's.

Use any text editor, instructions are already inside the file. I had to toggle security settings on that file to save my changes, but if you've gotten this far that's a snap. maybe this will help somebody.