Administer Server Via my Phone

n2o2diver

Administer Server Via my Phone

Post by n2o2diver »

I have an up and running Ubuntu Server thanks to this guide and all the help from the Forum, thanks Ian and Andy especially.

Today I setup Splashtop Streamer on my Windows Desktop (where I administer the server remotely via VNC, Webmin, Deluge headless)

Then I installed the Splashtop App on my HTC Evo 4G.

Now I can access my desktop computer via my smartphone and in turn access the server....how cool is that? :thumbup:

Not sure why I would need to do that but who the hell cares its just to cool. :mrgreen:

I have found one good use already. I have my desktop video card 'HDMI Out' conected to my big TV. I watch movies on it and the remote control I have only works with Media Center not Media Player. I often use Media Player and WinTv when I can't get Media Center to play certain file types. Now sitting on the couch I can use the phone as a remote because it controls my desktop.

So try and explain this to your non techno significant other. The movie is ripped from DVD and stored on the server, streaming to the desktop which is displaying it on the TV. To pause the show I use my phone which is connected via WiFi or 3G to the internet, the app connects the phone to the desktop over the internet and I can then pause the show just like I was sitting at the computer.

She say "uh hu, thats better than just putting the DVD in the player and using the normal remote how?" Some people just don't get it! LOL
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Re: Administer Server Via my Phone

Post by Andy Horn »

Thanks I have done the same as you, although TeamViewer does a similar job and the app is free for 'droid devices.

I think both of these apps would be better suited to a Tablet type device, larger screen would easier for my ageing eyes and my fat fingers :!: :!:

Andy
n2o2diver

Post by n2o2diver »

I agree, the phone screen is a wee small. I think I see a Asus Transformer in my future.
I didn't know about TeamViewer, thanks.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

I forgot to add a link, so here it is:

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

Mmm I am thinking of a 7" Dell Streak or a BlackBerry PlayBook which are the same price here in England £250, obviously the PlayBook can't do the 'droid stuff, but I think the PB is a really good Tablet.

Andy