HTPC media server

DrNaphtali

HTPC media server

Post by DrNaphtali »

Hello,

First of all, great site. And thank you very much for the time and effort in helping lost souls such as myself.

Now for my question: (Sorry if it is very elementary)

At the moment I have a single TV, with the media AMP (sorry, forgot the term...it is a normal amp with several HDMI I/O's so I connect all TV, audio & other devices such as PS3 through this) and a PS3.

I do not want to use my PS3 as a streaming device though, since I've had problems with the PS3 not being able to stream some file formats and mainly because I've seen some other nicer media centre interfaces where the media server goes on the internet to get information and images of all the media on it and neatly displayes it on the TV. Can this be done with your setup & software? I.E. can I connect the Media Server through HDMI to my media amp, through to my TV, and switch through the media with the remote which comes with the HTPC case?

Regards,
Leon
Ian

Re: HTPC media server

Post by Ian »

Hi Leon,

First of all, welcome to the forums. Your question is not elementary at all.

The setup I describe on my site separates the "server" from the "client". ie. it does not have a gui but is purely a headless media server. The client can be whatever you choose, such as a PS3 or a dedicated client. So, if you follow my guide to the letter you'll not achieve what you want.

However, there is nothing stopping you buying a separate client (NTV550, Popcorn Hour, Boxee Box to name but a few).

Alternatively, there are also a few guys on these forums who have installed XMBC on their server (thus making their "server" both the server and the client), thus achieving what you're looking for. If you search these forums for "xmbc" and have a read you'll get some idea of what they have achieved.

I've not gone this route (since I have the need for multiple clients) so cannot offer any tips but with any luck one of them will make an appearance and give you some pointers. ;)

Ian.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Hi Leon.

If I understand this properly, you are trying to have a server and HTPC on the same device.

I would say your best option is to install XBMC-Live and use it as a HTPC that stores all your media as opposed to a separate server to store your files.

XBMC-Live will give you pretty much all the flexibility of Ubuntu server as XBMC-Live is based on Ubuntu.

I am guessing you will need your HTPC to handle HD content, if that is the case then you need to look at half decent Graphics Card, I use an NVIDIA G210, these cards have been specially developed for HTPC's.

NVIDIA cards are way better than AMD/ATI for Linux as NVIDIA cards will "off-load" the graphics processing from the CPU, unless of course you are planning on using one of them Intel i series CPU's as they do pretty much the same thing.

Oh yes and another thing you can do is install an app for your iPhone/iPad/iPod or Android device and use it as a remote control.
Alternatively, there are also a few guys on these forums who have installed XMBC on their server (thus making their "server" both the server and the client), thus achieving what you're looking for. If you search these forums for "xmbc" and have a read you'll get some idea of what they have achieved.
Not wishing to sound like a smart arse, but XBMC will not work on Ubuntu server 10.04 as the server kernel has not got the required graphics drivers, it may work on later versions, but I don't see how as the server edition is designed to run on a low spec PC.

Hope this helps....

Andy
DrNaphtali

Post by DrNaphtali »

Hi Ian/Andy,

Thank you for the help and information! Is it silly to have my media server and the HTPC on the same device? Would the HTPC make too much noise maby? I just like the idea of having a completely customizable setup. But maybe its really not neccesary.

The XBMC-Live is exactly what I am looking for! And it has some beautifull interfaces!
I am guessing you will need your HTPC to handle HD content, if that is the case then you need to look at half decent Graphics Card, I use an NVIDIA G210, these cards have been specially developed for HTPC's.
Some uATX Mobo's, like the one this site suggested, have HD outputs on their onboard graphics; would these grapics not be powerfull enough?
Oh yes and another thing you can do is install an app for your iPhone/iPad/iPod or Android device and use it as a remote control.
Very cool tip!! Thanks!

Regards,
Leon
DrNaphtali

Post by DrNaphtali »

Can you stream HULU etc. from XBMC live?

If you only had 1 TV, would you still get a media server?

Regards,
Leon
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Hi Leon
Is it silly to have my media server and the HTPC on the same device? Would the HTPC make too much noise maby? I just like the idea of having a completely customizable setup. But maybe its really not necessary.
No it is not silly to store all your media on your HTPC, some people prefer this as it means they only have one device.

Noise, my HTPC is quieter than an Xbox 360, although that is not difficult to achieve :lol:

Myself personally would go for a graphics card for a HTPC, unless I was going to use an Intel i3/i5/i7 which have the GPU build into the CPU itself, take a look at this motherboard spec's http://www.ebuyer.com/261401-asus-p8h61 ... h61-m-r3-0

VGA
Support dual VGA output: HDMI/DVI & D-Sub
- Supports HDMI™ Technology with max. resolution up to 1920 x 1200 @60Hz
- Supports Single-link DVI with max. resolution up to 1920 x 1200 @60Hz
- Supports D-Sub with max. resolution 2048x1536 @75Hz
- Supports DirectX 10.1
- Intel® Quick Sync Video Technology Support
Storage
Intel® H61(B3) Express Chipset

Note the features I have underlined:
1.HDMI max resolution 1920x1200, most HD content is 1080p/i so this board used with an i3/i5/i7 CPU should be fine for watching your BluRay rips on your TV.
Intel H61 Express Chipset, so far as I know this chipset is supported by Linux out of the box, so no need to install drivers for it, the Linux kernel has them built in.

The two main reasons I went for an older spec HTPC was:

1: Cost

2: I had most of the parts and all I needed was a motherboard (which I bought for a customer, who then decided to scrap the PC I was fixing, after I had used the board and was unable to return it) and a graphics card

I have no idea about HULU, but I would have thought there will be a plugin for XBMC as there is plugins for YouTube and such like.
The XBMC-Live is exactly what I am looking for! And it has some beautifull interfaces!
:thumbup:

And it is easy to configure and navigate.

Also as XBMC-Live is based on Ubuntu, you can install openSSH so you can "Putty into it" for any command line work you may wish to do.
If you only had 1 TV, would you still get a media server?
As an entertainment server, then no, but as an all round server for backing up files for the various Laptops I have then definitely yes, in all honesty I would be lost without my server now and that is all thanks to Ian for providing a wonderful "how to"

I hope this has answered some questions for you.

Cheers

Andy
DrNaphtali

Post by DrNaphtali »

Hey guys,

Can you please take a look at this system?

http://www.carbonite.co.za/f10/2500-min ... ale-21937/

I like the case. The only thing I do not like about this system is the PSU, which I will definately replace later.

I have no idea about the motherboard and was hoping you guys could give some input?

I've decided to use the machine for emulating consoles, stream movies/series from the internet, use it to encode video's and as a general media server. Would the I5 be an overkill? I reckon for the price this guy wants I could get a E8400 with a decent MOBO & RAM, the same case, a mid range GPU and a very decent PSU. What do you guys think?

Regards,
Leon
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Hi Leon

Nice case.

The mobo has all you need, although I have never used a Sapphire mobo, I tend to stick to ASUS, ASRock or MSI boards for my builds.

E8400, good solid workhorse, although finding an ITX mobo with a PCI-e slot may prove a challenge.

Hope this helps....

Andy
DrNaphtali

Post by DrNaphtali »

Hey,

So I am picking up that system later today (i5 2500 with that sapphire mobo, muskin ram etc)

I now need to add HDDs.

I will be getting an SSD for the operating system. Would 64GB suffice or should I get a 120GB. No idea how much space the software needs.

Regards,
Leon
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Leon,

Andy seems to have gone AWOL so I'll step in. 64GB will be more than plenty, it's not MS Windows you know :lol:

Depending on your budget you could get away with a 32GB drive and still have plenty of spare left over. 16GB would be a push if you want to load up the OS a bit so better stick with 32/64.

Hope this helps,

Ian.