HOME NETWORK FOR A NEW BUILD

Ian

Re: HOME NETWORK FOR A NEW BUILD

Post by Ian »

glitglit wrote: When you say just use another faceplate or use doubles for everything, electricity and network/tv, can you explain what you mean?
I dont understand the electricity part??
I just meant use dual gang outlets for everything instead of single gang. So, a dual gang outlet for network/tv a dual gang outlet for the mains socket.
glitglit wrote: Wireless router to network switch x 1 Cat5e cable. Then I can take any output from the network switch say for example Qty x 6 outputs and run Qty x 6 individual Cat5e cables to 6 rooms to give a wired connection to each RJ45 faceplate in 6 rooms.
That's fine if you want hdmi over cat5e OR a network connection for Netflix/computer etc in each room. If you want both then you need a minimum of two cat5e cables to that room.
glitglit wrote:In the family room sky box I connect the skybox to extender/matrix via hdmi. Cat5e output from extender/matrix to RJ45. This one extender is all I require? As only two other rooms will use the balun to convert back to HDMI to trasmit the signal from the box into these two rooms.
You mentioned that I needed a Hdmi over cat5 extender in the server room. Is that correct? If I have a Hdmi over cat5 extender in the family room as described is this not all that I require?
Personally, I'd run your satellite cables to the understairs cupboard and put the sky box in there. This cupboard is where all your cat5e cables terminate and so putting the sky box in there will give you maximum flexibility. So, hdmi out of the sky box into the extender/splitter/matrix. Out of there to cat5e to each room that requires it. In each room use a balun to convert the signal back to HDMI. If you later decide to add a tv to a room you can reassign an existing cat5e cable in that room from having network duties to having hdmi-over-cat5e duties by removing it from the network switch and plugging it into the extender/matrix/splitter instead. Here's a nice diagram showing the sort of thing I'm talking about
201512068810599_20150102111942372_PU-1H7HBTPL_schem-trans.png
201512068810599_20150102111942372_PU-1H7HBTPL_schem-trans.png (240.15 KiB) Viewed 103043 times
glitglit wrote:As described I think I will go with a Quadplex faceplate in each room that I believe will have a TV. This gives one RJ45 so I will use that on the faceplate for example for netflix.
A quadplex faceplate is only useful for plugging a skybox into it. If you're going to watch sky in those rooms via hdmi over cat5e then you just need an rj45 outlet (and a coax connection to give you freeview as well) for tv. Plus an rj45 outlet for your Netflix/computer.
glitglit wrote: To give Qty x 3 RJ45 outputs I think I will need two more RJ45 connections to sit beside my quadplex faceplate (in the rooms with a TV) Please describe the name of this 2 x RJ45 faceplate.
Then in the rooms without a TV and therefore no quadplex faceplate I might just need a double RJ45 connection facelplate. Please describe the name of this double RJ45 connection facelplate?
And finally....do you think I should chose to have a quadplex faceplate in each bedroom? In case children decide they want a TV in the future?
Here is an RJ45 socket that clips into that euro faceplate.
original_736.jpg
original_736.jpg (77.48 KiB) Viewed 103043 times
glitglit wrote:Or can I do without a faceplate if TV's come with built in Freeview?

Will a built in freeview TV work without an aerial?
If you want freeview then you need an aerial connection. You can terminate this using one of these that connects into your euro faceplate:
31BIn8Z153L.jpg
31BIn8Z153L.jpg (8.43 KiB) Viewed 103043 times
glitglit wrote:Can you recommend a gigabit switch?
I have this one and a 24 port one of these. They're simply unmanaged gigabit network switches. I normally go for netgear but fancied something different.
Ian

Post by Ian »

glitglit wrote:Hi Ian,

Sorry just another item for clarification:

Quadplexed TV socket (four feeds) and Standard Single TV socket

The point of this system design is to allow every room in the property to watch any freeview channel independently plus share the same Sky channel; you also have the capability to control the Sky box from the extra rooms.
FM or DAB (NOT REQUIRED)
The main room will watch freeview via the TVs built in digital decoder and view the Sky box via a HDMI lead, the other rooms will watch freeview via the same method then turn the TV over to analogue tuner and watch the current Sky channel via a radio signal created by the Sky box (RF).

If the above is the case then do I really need a HDMI over Cat5e distribution extender and baluns?

Is it a case of choosing the Quadplexed system and distribute the cabling the the rooms with TV's via co ax or is it better to do this via HDMI/cat5e.
Thanks again
I recently upgraded my sky boxes to HD ones and they don't have an RF out connection, hence I've now gone for hdmi over cat5e instead. If your sky box has RF out then by all means go for a loftbox setup and distribute the signal around the house via coax. The picture is fine via RF on smallish TVs. The bigger the TV tho the more you can see how inferior the picture is.
glitglit

Post by glitglit »

Hi Ian,

I have sketched out my home network. Can I send the one page word doc to you for you review? Can you send me your email address and I will attached the file?

I have a few questions relating the network diagram I have put together:

1) Can you help explain the IR Emitter and receiver on the PU-515 and the 2 way IR control on the PU-1H7?
2)Are these additional cables and additional connections that you have to make between the sky box and the PU-1H7. And additional cables and connections between the PU-515 and the TV's.
3) I assume it has something to do with the remote control allowing you to change channel in the room with the TV when the sky box is in the server room under the stairs
4) If this is not the case how does the Sky remote change channels when the sky box is in another room

I will probably have Qty x 3 sky boxes.
The main one will be connected to the PU-1H7and routed to 7x rooms via Cat5e. This effectively uses up all 7 outputs from the PU-1H7.
What if I needed to connect the 8th Cat5e to feed another room?

The other Qty x 2 sky boxes one in Master Bedroom and the other in the kitchen. How will these be connected to the PU-1H7 system to work in the same way?
If all three boxes are on how does this work and will this not cause conflict in the system. I understand the setup if one box is used and relayed around Qty x 7 rooms. I am a bit confused by the additional two boxes and how these can work.

We would like the three boxes to work independently so that channels can be changed independently. How can all three sky boxes be relayed around to the other rooms? Can this be done using the PU-1H7 system? If this is not possible I assume we just take the main Sky box and relay it to the other rooms leaving the other two boxes to work specifically to the room in which they are located.
Therefore the other 2 x sky boxes do not need to be connected to the HDMI over Cat5e wiring. Only one RJ45 connection needed from each of the sky boxes to the RJ45 single socket for Netflix or streaming.

I have decided to go for a dual gang RJ45 with Coax. Dual gang RJ45 as you know will be used for HDMI over Cat5e and the other RJ45 used for netflix or streaming online via the TV. The Coax connection will not be used but we have included that for future proofing incase we need to ditch payed TV and revert to freeview. So I assume the Coax connection will be connected at the back of the faceplate with a Coax cable and if we have this in Qty x 7 rooms that would mean that Qty x 7 Coax cables are routed back to the loft coiled up and labelled from which room it came from. If then we need freeview we would get an freeview aerial installed in the loft and connect the Qty x 7 cables to this aerial if needed in the future.
Please let me know if that sounds practical and reasonable.

Thanks again Ian. Please pass on your email address privately and I will send you a copy of the network diagram plan. This will make it easier to visualise our setup.

Thank you
Ian

Post by Ian »

glitglit wrote:Hi Ian,
I have sketched out my home network. Can I send the one page word doc to you for you review? Can you send me your email address and I will attached the file?
Sure, you can attach it in a private message on this board.
glitglit wrote: I have a few questions relating the network diagram I have put together:
1) Can you help explain the IR Emitter and receiver on the PU-515 and the 2 way IR control on the PU-1H7?
2)Are these additional cables and additional connections that you have to make between the sky box and the PU-1H7. And additional cables and connections between the PU-515 and the TV's.
3) I assume it has something to do with the remote control allowing you to change channel in the room with the TV when the sky box is in the server room under the stairs
4) If this is not the case how does the Sky remote change channels when the sky box is in another room
1). In normal setups the IR travels only one way: from the IR sensor back to the equipment you're controlling. With two-way it also allows the signal to travel the other way too. ie. from the equipment back to the sensor. This is so you can, for example, control a piece of equipment in a particular room from your central location. Most people don't need two-way but that particular piece of kit supports it should you need it.

2) All you have between the sky box and the PU-1H7 is the HDMI out of the sky box to the input of the PU-1H7 and a remote sensor from the PU-1H7 to the front of your sky box to allow each room to change sky channels etc.

3) Correct.
glitglit wrote: I will probably have Qty x 3 sky boxes.
The main one will be connected to the PU-1H7and routed to 7x rooms via Cat5e. This effectively uses up all 7 outputs from the PU-1H7.
What if I needed to connect the 8th Cat5e to feed another room?

The other Qty x 2 sky boxes one in Master Bedroom and the other in the kitchen. How will these be connected to the PU-1H7 system to work in the same way?
If all three boxes are on how does this work and will this not cause conflict in the system. I understand the setup if one box is used and relayed around Qty x 7 rooms. I am a bit confused by the additional two boxes and how these can work.

We would like the three boxes to work independently so that channels can be changed independently. How can all three sky boxes be relayed around to the other rooms? Can this be done using the PU-1H7 system? If this is not possible I assume we just take the main Sky box and relay it to the other rooms leaving the other two boxes to work specifically to the room in which they are located.
Therefore the other 2 x sky boxes do not need to be connected to the HDMI over Cat5e wiring. Only one RJ45 connection needed from each of the sky boxes to the RJ45 single socket for Netflix or streaming.
The PU-1H7 only has one HDMI input. If you want more then you'll need something like an HDMI "matrix". Something like this
20160208115635623_2014092614539549_PU-8H8HBTE-4K_schem-trans.png
20160208115635623_2014092614539549_PU-8H8HBTE-4K_schem-trans.png (335.39 KiB) Viewed 102982 times

I'd strongly advise you to speak to a dealer because there is a vast array of options and I only researched what *I* needed. That PU-8H8 for example will set you back in the region of £6k and may not be the ideal piece of kit for your needs.
glitglit wrote:I have decided to go for a dual gang RJ45 with Coax. Dual gang RJ45 as you know will be used for HDMI over Cat5e and the other RJ45 used for netflix or streaming online via the TV. The Coax connection will not be used but we have included that for future proofing incase we need to ditch payed TV and revert to freeview. So I assume the Coax connection will be connected at the back of the faceplate with a Coax cable and if we have this in Qty x 7 rooms that would mean that Qty x 7 Coax cables are routed back to the loft coiled up and labelled from which room it came from. If then we need freeview we would get an freeview aerial installed in the loft and connect the Qty x 7 cables to this aerial if needed in the future.
Please let me know if that sounds practical and reasonable.
Totally reasonable. You'd just use a VHF/UHF amplifier in your loft and connect your aerial and 7 room cables into it. Depending on where you live you may find you need an external tv aerial to get a decent picture. Suck it and see.

Ian.
glitglit

Post by glitglit »

Hi Ian,

I was just wondering if you received my last private message and wiring diagram?

Please provide your feedback.

Thanks again
glitglit

Post by glitglit »

Hi Ian,

Please see attached Network Diagram/image of my suggested plans (sent via PM).

Please follow the route from the top down. From the satellite dish / BT Master socket downwards. If you can review and comment on each section if this is practical and workable.
Can you also confirm how much do you think this type of system design would cost?
I would imagine. Sky dish (free), BT phone install and routers (£300), PU1H7 (£150), Netgear switch (£150), AV Wall Plate, TV Aerial / 2 x Cat.5e (£10 Each), Cat5e faceplate (£5 Each), Coax 50meters (£25), Cat5e 150meters (£50).
So this is a reasonably cheap network/cabling setup for my application??

I am still a bit confused about the IR control. I knew I had to connect the Sky box to the PU1h7 with a HDMI lead but I cannot visualise the 2way IR control. Can you send me a picture of the 2way IR control?

Is the 2 way IR control basically the PU515 box? Or have I picked this up wrong.
And if it is the PU515 box do this box come complete with the cables to connect the sky box to the PU515 and then onto the PU1H7?

I think regarding the additional Qty x 2 sky boxes I should keep these completely independent and standalone at the point of use. I liked the idea of having all 3 x boxes under the stairs but I dont want a really overly complicated and expensive system. You mentioned £6000 for this and I nearly had heart failure.

Let me know your thoughts on this and I hope you like my sketch.
Please be critical though as I need to learn.

Thanks
Nigel
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hiya Nigel,

There's no attachments in my PMs?

Ian.
glitglit

Post by glitglit »

Hi Ian,

I have resent it and the details/questions are above.

I dont know why it didnt send first time.

Thanks Ian
glitglit

Post by glitglit »

Hi Ian,

I hope your well.

I just have a couple of questions re the details above.

The remote sensor from the PU-1H7 to the front of your sky box to allow each room to change sky channels etc. What is the remote sensor? Is this the PU515 device or is this just another cable?

Can you also confirm how much the typical costs of the following items?
PU1H7 cost?
PU515 balun cost?
Netgear switch cost?

I seen costs of £1000 for the PU1H7 online is that correct?

Thanks Ian
glitglit

Post by glitglit »

The PU1H7 seems quite expensive in the UK.

Is there cheaper alternatives on the market?