HOME NETWORK FOR A NEW BUILD

glitglit

HOME NETWORK FOR A NEW BUILD

Post by glitglit »

Hey, Hows things? Hope you had a good Christmas and Happy New Year!!

I was hoping you could give me should basic advice for setting up a home network for my new build that I will be starting next year. I don’t want anything complicated just a basic system as I am a novice in this area. I have listed below the basic requirements if you can help with some advice on components and what I need.

From the start:
1. BT Master phone socket will be connected to a BT Openreach DSL box via the RJ11 connection. Then the RJ45 Ethernet cable will connect the BT DSL box to the BT Wireless router (into the the BT Infinity inlet port).
Both boxes will be located in a small server room under the stairs
2. I then want to have my laptop hardwired in another room using RJ45 Ethernet cable. Do I need to get the Ethernet Cat 5e cable taken from the wireless router through the walls to a RJ45 faceplate? Then from the faceplate to the laptop using another RJ45 cable?
3. I would also like to have at least one RJ45 faceplate in each bedroom for internet access or streaming TV. Does this mean that we need to run the Cat 5e from each port in the wireless router into the walls up to each bedroom and terminate at the RJ45 faceplate in each room.
The wireless router only has four outlets, therefore do I need a patch panel? If so which type/make/model? How do we connect the wireless router to the patch panel? Is this simply one Cat 5e cable to the patch panel to allow us to utilise the multiple outlets on a patch panel.
4. Where there is to be a TV in the main livingroom what faceplate do I need here to allow for streaming online etc. I would like to connect the TV (ie hardwired) to give a fast connection if streaming TV online rather than using wireless. Do I need to convert HDMI to Ethernet? If so please explain.

Should I just scrap the idea of a wired system altogether and just go down the wireless route? Having a wired connection for my laptop only?

Let me know your thoughts guys. Any help at all would really be appreciated.

Thank you and Happy New Year
Ian

Re: HOME NETWORK FOR A NEW BUILD

Post by Ian »

Happy new year to you too :D

First off may I wish you much success in your new build and I hope everything goes well.

OK, before I go off on the wrong tangent you mention that you want to "stream TV". What exactly do you mean by this? Do you mean you want to watch live TV on something other than a TV? ie. on a laptop or somesuch? Or do you mean you'll be getting a "smart tv" and you want to use the features on it to watch BBC iPlayer, netflix and the like? Or do you mean you'll have sky in one room and want to be able to watch it on all TVs/devices around the house? Or maybe you'll have a TV tuner in a central server and you want to be able to watch that on devices around the home? Or something completely different to any of this?

My home network should give you a basic understanding of the sort of thing you'll be looking to do.

I would definitely recommend hard wiring everything. I'm not a fan of wireless especially for anything other than basic internet surfing, in my house unless I'm sitting close to the router I just don't get the bandwidth.

Come back to me on the tv streaming point and I'll be able to give you targeted advice.
glitglit

Post by glitglit »

Hi Ian,

Thank you for the speedy response. I will definitely review your network to increase my level of understanding. This will at least allow me to ask sensible questions. I do know roughly want I want but your guidance will get me to the end result.

To answer your question above I would like to watch TV on a smart TV for normal Sky channels, then on occasion to watch things like BBC i player, Netflix etc without doing this wirelessly.
Sometimes we will also watch sports online streaming on the laptop and I would also like to do this with a cable.
Therefore faceplates will need to be in strategic places i.e for smart TV's and then a separate faceplate for a laptop to connect.
I would like Sky TV, but also have the flexibility to go back to freeview only if prices are too high. I saw these quadplex faceplates online which maybe required. You will know this I am sure.
I will review you network and get back to you tomorrow.
Thanks again Ian
Ian

Post by Ian »

OK, to use a smart TV you just need regular cat5e/6. So, a single cat5e/6 cable from your understair cupboard to an rj45 faceplate in each location. As I've mentioned in that guide I'd run more than one cable to each location to add flexibility.

For sky to one TV you use one of the quadplexes you mention. If you also want sky piped around the house then the modern way to do that is using HDMI over cat5/6 technology. I do this in my house and so have Sky HD on each TV. Obviously as it's just the one sky box you get the same channel on each TV. Hdmi over cat5/6 uses dedicated cables. So, you can't use the one single cable for both your smart tv and the sky distribution to each room, you'd need two. They can both be terminated on the same rj45 faceplate tho.
glitglit

Post by glitglit »

Hi Ian,

OK. If I talk through the setup from the start you can maybe correct me if I am incorrect. Then this will help me itemise the components I need on my build specification:

From the start:
1. BT Master phone socket will be connected to a BT Openreach DSL box via the RJ11 connection. Then the RJ45 Ethernet cable will connect the BT DSL box to the BT Wireless router (into the the BT Infinity inlet port at the back of the device).
Both boxes will be located in a small server room under the stairs
2. I then want to have my laptop hardwired in another room using RJ45 Ethernet cable.
So I will request a Cat 5e cable to be taken from the server room from the wireless router through the walls into another room and into the back of a RJ45 faceplate.
This will be my main laptop connection and I will run a Cat 5e cable from my laptop to the RJ45 faceplate for full speed wired infinity broadband
Does this sound OK so far??

For two Cat 5e cables to run to each room will this be taken from a patch panel? If so, what one would you recommend? How do I connect my patch panel to the wireless router? Once connection will this automatically work or is there specific setup instructions and software needed etc?

Ok so the components so are Open Reach BT DSL device, BT Home Hub Wireless Router,and a patch panel (please confirm)?

Assuming I connect the wireless router to the patch panel via a Cat 5e cable the patch panels purpose is to provide more outputs. Please confirm?

3. Then I connect 2x Cat5e cables to the patch panel and run these through the walls to the TV in the main livingroom.
Then the two cables are connected to 2x separate RJ45 faceplates. One for TV streaming (Netflix) and one for faceplate is for HDMI over Cat 5e?
Please confirm if this is OK?

I understand that the TV HDMI is connected to the RJ45 faceplate. Do I require a adaptor to convert HDMI lead to fit into RJ45 socket on the faceplate? Please confirm?
Then the signal HDMI over Cat 5e is transferred back to the patch panel. But how does this signal transfer to another bedroom and up to another TV? Say I put this into port 1 on the patch panel how will port 2 know that it should transfer this signal to a bedroom upstairs to provide sky TV on the livingroom TV as well as the bedroom TV?

I need to then repeat step 3 by taking 2x cat53 cables to all rooms with a TV. So that these 2 x cables can be terminated into 2x RJ45 faceplates.
What if a bedroom has a TV and using the 2 x faceplates but there is a computer in the room needing a wired connection? Do I have to disconnect the TV Cat 5 e and put in the laptop Cat 5e? Then what if I put the HDMI over Cat5e connection into the laptop does this work or will I need have internet access?
Based on this scenario above is that why you require 3x faceplates. One for TV streaming (Netflix), one for HDMi over Cat5e and one for laptop hardwired internet connection?

Thanks again Ian. I hope my message makes sense.
Ian

Post by Ian »

glitglit wrote:.......................This will be my main laptop connection and I will run a Cat 5e cable from my laptop to the RJ45 faceplate for full speed wired infinity broadband
Does this sound OK so far??
Yup
glitglit wrote:For two Cat 5e cables to run to each room will this be taken from a patch panel? If so, what one would you recommend? How do I connect my patch panel to the wireless router? Once connection will this automatically work or is there specific setup instructions and software needed etc?
You can use a patch panel in your small server room or just run the cables directly into your wireless router. Think of a patch panel like a series of rj45 faceplates all in a row. So, you run a wire from the back of one of the ports on the patch panel through the wall into the back of your rj45 faceplate in your chosen room. You connect your laptop to this rj45 faceplate with a cat5e network cable. At the other end you connect the patch panel port to your router using another cat5e network cable. Any patch panel will do you.

You'll note that your wireless router only has 4/5 ports and you'll be running many more than 4/5 network cables. So, you'll also need to get yourself a "gigabit network switch". Think of this switch just like a bunch of extra router ports. You connect the router to the network switch using a single cat5 network cable. Now in effect your router has loads more connections
glitglit wrote:Ok so the components so are Open Reach BT DSL device, BT Home Hub Wireless Router,and a patch panel (please confirm)?

Assuming I connect the wireless router to the patch panel via a Cat 5e cable the patch panels purpose is to provide more outputs. Please confirm?
You connect your router to the switch and the rest of the ports on the switch you connect to your patch panel.
glitglit wrote:3. Then I connect 2x Cat5e cables to the patch panel and run these through the walls to the TV in the main livingroom.
Then the two cables are connected to 2x separate RJ45 faceplates. One for TV streaming (Netflix) and one for faceplate is for HDMI over Cat 5e?
Please confirm if this is OK?

This is fine. Note the hdmi over cat5e will not go back to your router/switch but will go to an HDMI extender/matrix.
glitglit wrote:I understand that the TV HDMI is connected to the RJ45 faceplate. Do I require a adaptor to convert HDMI lead to fit into RJ45 socket on the faceplate? Please confirm?
Then the signal HDMI over Cat 5e is transferred back to the patch panel. But how does this signal transfer to another bedroom and up to another TV? Say I put this into port 1 on the patch panel how will port 2 know that it should transfer this signal to a bedroom upstairs to provide sky TV on the livingroom TV as well as the bedroom TV?

See above. hdmi over cat5e is nothing to do with your network. It just happens to use cat5e cable. At one end you have your sky box connected into your extender/matrix via hdmi. From the extender/matrix you have your cat5e "output" cables. At the other end of your cat5e cables in each room you have "baluns" to go from cat5e back to hdmi. So, the signal goes from sky to extender/matrix via hdmi. It then travels via cat5e into your chosen room. You connect a balun to your rj45 faceplate using a cat5e cable. A balun converts the signal from cat5e back to hdmi. The output of the balun is HDMI. You connect this to your TV using an HDMI cable.
glitglit wrote:I need to then repeat step 3 by taking 2x cat53 cables to all rooms with a TV. So that these 2 x cables can be terminated into 2x RJ45 faceplates.
What if a bedroom has a TV and using the 2 x faceplates but there is a computer in the room needing a wired connection? Do I have to disconnect the TV Cat 5 e and put in the laptop Cat 5e? Then what if I put the HDMI over Cat5e connection into the laptop does this work or will I need have internet access?

If you think you'll need more than 2 cables then run more than 2. I now have more than a dozen going to my main living room. If you find you run out in the future then you can buy a very cheap 4/5 port switch to give you extra ports
glitglit wrote:Based on this scenario above is that why you require 3x faceplates. One for TV streaming (Netflix), one for HDMi over Cat5e and one for laptop hardwired internet connection?

Thanks again Ian. I hope my message makes sense.
I used two gang euro faceplates giving me 4 connections per outlet.
glitglit

Post by glitglit »

Hi Ian,

Thank you again.

I dont understand the need for a patch panel. Can we not connect the standard BT wireless router to a gigabit network switch to give more connnections and then go direct from here to the RJ45 faceplates in each room?

Can you give me an example of why you needed 6x Cat5e cables for each room? I dont have the imaginations as to know why so many are needed?
I can only think that I need Qtyx 2. (TV hardwired to give fast connection when streaming and HDMI over Cat5e)

Can you show me an image of a two gang euro faceplate?

Quadplex faceplates only provide Qty x 1 RJ45 output so this can be used for my Netflix streaming. Can you get a Quadplex that provides Qty x 2 RJ45 outputs so that I can use the other for HDMI over Cat5e? If not then do I then required another faceplate with a single output? Being flexible should I option for more than a single and go for a double output......ie one for HDMI over Cat5e and one for spare?

You mention that Hdmi over cat5/6 uses dedicated cables. So, you can't use the one single cable for both your smart tv and the sky distribution to each room, you'd need two. They can both be terminated on the same rj45 faceplate though. Is this called a two gang RJ45 faceplate?

I also dont understand why you would run 5 or 6 Cat5e cables to every room if you can just use a very cheap 4/5 port switch. Therefore one cable to each room and use the port switch to achieve 4-5 outputs. Please explain.

Please also mention anything that I am not doing that I should maybe consider? I know my application is a basic system but maybe it is too basic and I havent considered some really important aspects.

Thanks again Ian
Ian

Post by Ian »

glitglit wrote:I dont understand the need for a patch panel. Can we not connect the standard BT wireless router to a gigabit network switch to give more connnections and then go direct from here to the RJ45 faceplates in each room?
Most people don't bother with one. They're something of a convenience and probably ott in a home network environment (although they do look cool). Everything will still work if you plug the cables directly into the switch. The one thing to be mindful of is solid cat5e cable is less robust than stranded cable so don't move it around too much once you've connected it to the switch.
glitglit wrote: Can you give me an example of why you needed 6x Cat5e cables for each room? I dont have the imaginations as to know why so many are needed?
I can only think that I need Qtyx 2. (TV hardwired to give fast connection when streaming and HDMI over Cat5e)
Every TV in my house has one cable for the TV itself, one for the NUC (video streamer) and one for the hdmi balun (some solutions actually require 2 cat5e). That's 3/4. If you add a games console, skybox, a music system (eg Sonos) and a computer into the mix you're at 7/8 right now. Then what might you need in the future? The point is whilst you can EASILY run network cables run plenty of them. Once everything is decorated you're pretty much stuck with the decision you've made. Who knows what will be commonplace in 10-20 year's time?
glitglit wrote:Can you show me an image of a two gang euro faceplate?
Exhibit A:
K184WHI.jpg
K184WHI.jpg (19.3 KiB) Viewed 56678 times
glitglit wrote:Quadplex faceplates only provide Qty x 1 RJ45 output so this can be used for my Netflix streaming. Can you get a Quadplex that provides Qty x 2 RJ45 outputs so that I can use the other for HDMI over Cat5e? If not then do I then required another faceplate with a single output? Being flexible should I option for more than a single and go for a double output......ie one for HDMI over Cat5e and one for spare?
Just use another faceplate or use doubles for everything, electricity and network/tv.
glitglit wrote:You mention that Hdmi over cat5/6 uses dedicated cables. So, you can't use the one single cable for both your smart tv and the sky distribution to each room, you'd need two. They can both be terminated on the same rj45 faceplate though. Is this called a two gang RJ45 faceplate?
Correct. In your server room you'd connect one cable to the network switch and one to the hdmi over cat5 extender.
glitglit wrote:I also dont understand why you would run 5 or 6 Cat5e cables to every room if you can just use a very cheap 4/5 port switch. Therefore one cable to each room and use the port switch to achieve 4-5 outputs. Please explain.
You can use a switch in each room for your non-hdmi distribution and it'll work fine and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Currently. You have to buy a switch (so is more expensive than a piece of cable) and it requires electricity so uses a mains socket. Plus the one cable can only support 1000Mbps. What will the bandwidth requirements be in 10-20 years time? If you run multiple cables then each of your components can consume 1000Mbps individually. Not share it between them.
glitglit wrote:Please also mention anything that I am not doing that I should maybe consider? I know my application is a basic system but maybe it is too basic and I havent considered some really important aspects.
You're doing fine. I just err on the side of caution and don't want to kick myself down the road so have probably gone ott in my house. That all said, if the future is fibre optic then I'm stuffed!! :lol:
glitglit

Post by glitglit »

Hi Ian,

Just a question for you.

When you say just use another faceplate or use doubles for everything, electricity and network/tv, can you explain what you mean?
I dont understand the electricity part??

You mentioned in your server room you'd connect one cable to the network switch and one to the hdmi over cat5 extender. I am a bit confused on this.
So I will try to let you know my thoughts:
Wireless router to network switch x 1 Cat5e cable. Then I can take any output from the network switch say for example Qty x 6 outputs and run Qty x 6 individual Cat5e cables to 6 rooms to give a wired connection to each RJ45 faceplate in 6 rooms.

In the family room sky box I connect the skybox to extender/matrix via hdmi. Cat5e output from extender/matrix to RJ45. This one extender is all I require? As only two other rooms will use the balun to convert back to HDMI to trasmit the signal from the box into these two rooms.
You mentioned that I needed a Hdmi over cat5 extender in the server room. Is that correct? If I have a Hdmi over cat5 extender in the family room as described is this not all that I require?

As described I think I will go with a Quadplex faceplate in each room that I believe will have a TV. This gives one RJ45 so I will use that on the faceplate for example for netflix.

To give Qty x 3 RJ45 outputs I think I will need two more RJ45 connections to sit beside my quadplex faceplate (in the rooms with a TV) Please describe the name of this 2 x RJ45 faceplate.
Then in the rooms without a TV and therefore no quadplex faceplate I might just need a double RJ45 connection facelplate. Please describe the name of this double RJ45 connection facelplate?

And finally....do you think I should chose to have a quadplex faceplate in each bedroom? In case children decide they want a TV in the future?
Or can I do without a faceplate if TV's come with built in Freeview?
Will a built in freeview TV work without an aerial?

Can you recommend a gigabit switch?

Thanks again Ian. I appreciate the help
glitglit

Post by glitglit »

Hi Ian,

Sorry just another item for clarification:

Quadplexed TV socket (four feeds) and Standard Single TV socket

The point of this system design is to allow every room in the property to watch any freeview channel independently plus share the same Sky channel; you also have the capability to control the Sky box from the extra rooms.
FM or DAB (NOT REQUIRED)
The main room will watch freeview via the TVs built in digital decoder and view the Sky box via a HDMI lead, the other rooms will watch freeview via the same method then turn the TV over to analogue tuner and watch the current Sky channel via a radio signal created by the Sky box (RF).

If the above is the case then do I really need a HDMI over Cat5e distribution extender and baluns?

Is it a case of choosing the Quadplexed system and distribute the cabling the the rooms with TV's via co ax or is it better to do this via HDMI/cat5e.
Thanks again