Want your own personal cloud?

Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Want your own personal cloud?

Post by Andy Horn »

I have now :clap:

Whilst trying to figure out iSCSI targets in Ubuntu server I stumbled across this http://www.tonido.com/.

So I built a virtual Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS 32bit, it has to 32bit as Tonido is not so good with 64bit version of Ubuntu server, did all the usual stuff-VNC, Webmin and NFS, downloaded the package and installed and here I am with my own personal cloud, that I can access from anywhere and guess what "Theres an app for that" iOS, 'Droid and BlackBerry.

So why are you still reading this and not busying yourself setting up your own personal cloud?.......well what are you waiting for.

Andy
Maxter

Re: Want your own personal cloud?

Post by Maxter »

Hello Andy,
Great to learn of your success. I'm also building a home server and personal cloud am very much novice, was your installation of Ubuntu straitforward (i.e. can a novice do it) or do you have to be a tech wizzard?
Maxter

Post by Maxter »

Does the Tonido personal cloud install as an application in Windows 7 or as a separate operating system (i.e. does it require a dedicated computer)?
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Installing Ubuntu server is really quite easy, just follow Ian's guide and you can't go wrong.

I installed Tonido on a virtual server running inside my main server, mainly because I couldn't get it work on the main server due it been 64bit, Tonido only supports 32bit, although you can install the 32bit libs, which didn't work for me for some reason.

I can access Tonido from any browser on any computer, Windows, Mac, Linux and even my 'Droid phone.

If you are building a dedicated server then install Tonido on that as an application.

I hope I have answered your questions, if you get stuck just post here and we will see what we can do.

Merry Christmas

Andy