Not sure how to proceed...

rednaz

Not sure how to proceed...

Post by rednaz »

I have followed the steps to setup a lucid Linux server and I've made it to the point where I have Putty, VNC, and Webmin setup. I've created a secondary user, which I'll mess with later, and I've setup so that my video files are share-able. The only problem is, I am unsure of what else I need to do to be able to watch the videos from other computers in the network and possibly login and see videos on the server from outside of the network(over the web). For computers on the network I'm guessing that I should just be able to see it in the workgroup, but it is not showing up. It is the same workgroup name as other computers, and I've both restarted the server and the computers attempting to connect to it. It is possible that I need to reset the router, but I am unable to do so at this time but I will try a restart later today. I can access the files via VNC, but the playback is choppy and there is no sound. I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be trying to play the files this way but I can't see any other way to do so when outside of the network.

Any help would be appreciated!

Edit - I totally forgot that the server was hooked into the main router and not the wireless router. That was the issue there. I'm still wondering what would be needed to access from outside the home network.