Unable to Mount Ext Hard Drive

picoderyo

Unable to Mount Ext Hard Drive

Post by picoderyo »

With the help of this website I have been able to get my server up and running, I am going low budget right now until I have the cash for a proper machine. So I am using an old dell laptop as my server. The problem I am having is mounting a 750GB external hard drive via USB. I should probably explain I am accessing the server from a macbook. So I didn't install samba or putty, because I can use the terminal on my mac to enter code, and I am using Netatalk and Avahi to view the server in Finder. and I am using "Chicken of the VNC" on my mac to see the server that way. The problem is when I try to do anything with the external hard drive I get the following error: "Unable to mount 750GB Filesystem Not Authorized"

any ideas why this isn't just working? I'm really new to Linux and have really no experience programming any help would be much appreciated
rednaz

Re: Unable to Mount Ext Hard Drive

Post by rednaz »

I ran into the same problem when first setting up the server. The way I fixed it had to deal with Samba File Server and Webmin. Going through the tutorial on Webmin for creating shares should be enough to allow you to permanently "mount" the drive on the server (in reality it doesn't actually mount it, it just creates a folder that then links to the drive). I can't remember the exact steps to do this though, but just manual tweaks in the tutorial should be all you need.

Of course I don't know how to do this through the command line, but it is a solution.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Re: Unable to Mount Ext Hard Drive

Post by Andy Horn »

I am using "Chicken of the VNC" on my mac to see the server that way.
I have never got this to work on my Mac, please enlighten me.

Andy