Hi - Newbie alert :)

Gavster30

Hi - Newbie alert :)

Post by Gavster30 »

I have just joined the Forum and thought I would say hi :D

I have been running a DNS-313 NAS with a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint and Fonz Fun_Plug which has been great for about a year now well that is it runs great but has run out of space and with no room for upgrade the only way forward is to run a full on server :thumbup:

So what do I have and what do I want to acheive..... The NAS currently runs Mediatomb but with such limited processor power (arm procssor) there is no way of transcoding, it also runs a Transmission client for all my Torrent needs.

I have different media clients in the home so I want to serve them all - PS3, Xbox 360 and Samsung Smart TV the only 1 I can see being a problem is the 360, I would also like to run Virtual machines on the host similar to the way Ian describes his setup on the KVM setup page however my Laptop hardware doesn't support it so I would need some help on that front :!:

Before spending lots of cash I thought I would experiment with an older laptop and so far so good I have a running version of Ubuntu Server 10.04 and have managed to setup shares accessible through Samba and Win 7 can access them fine (after much messing with permissions).

I would like to be able to remote start the Server as it will be housed out of sight headless I have seen some apps on the droid market but I need a motherboard that supports WOL.

I would like a main OS drive and then the option to run around 4 drives of storage to serve and protect data the drives are likely to be Samsung 2TB drive as they seem great value for money apart from that I don't know what hardware to go for just yet so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for a great site I wouldn't have even tried the media server without it.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Re: Hi - Newbie alert :)

Post by Andy Horn »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Yeah the X360 will be a weak link, a bit picky about what file format's they will play and they are quite noisy.

uShare is very good for the X360, easy-ish to set up, it's what I use for X360's we have dotted around the house

I tried KVM with a certain amount of success, in the end I went for VirtualBox https://www.virtualbox.org/, it gives you a nice GUI to play with as long as you have got VNC installed on your server.

You can't go far wrong with 2TB Sammy F4's, hopefully I will getting another this coming week, just sold a WD 300GB VelociRaptor on fleabay for £125 :D.

I think most modern boards support WOL, that is thing I may look into myself.

Hope this helps....

Andy
Gavster30

Post by Gavster30 »

Hi Andy :D

Thank you for the quick reply yes it does help I may try messing around with virtualbox my main concern is that I have already had to wipe and start over after MediaTomb went wrong on me so what I don't want to be doing is having to do a rebuild everytime I mess around with a new program as I do like to play around with things a lot!

I have not looked into which hardware to run yet apart from the drives so I have been looking around the forum to see what evedryone else is running
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Quick learner, install a virtual server inside your main sever and play till your hearts content.

One tip and this had baffled for a little while, in VB set up your network interface as "Bridged" if you don't the virtual server will not be able to communicate with the outside world.

You can install Windows as a virtual machine, but I don't recommend as the Ubuntu server kernel has not got support for the graphics.

Andy
Kryspy

Post by Kryspy »

I have to give a thums up to Serviio. After being a PS3 Mediaserver user for a few years I have been converted. It truly is a nice piece of software. True of what Andy said; the Xbox 360 is very picky but Serviio will transcode just fine.

Kryspy