The "introduce yourself" thread

Ian

Re: The "introduce yourself" thread

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

The abandonment of KVM for the guest/host configuration was more a "temporary" thing than a permanent thing. I got stuck trying to share hardware across guests, specifically a TV Tuner. It also transpired that guests saw the main storage as being "on the network" as opposed to being local although from memory someone on here had a solution for that.

My whole family are totally addicted to streaming from the server and I get moaned at for rebooting it let alone taking it all apart and starting from scratch. The last time I rebuilt the server I stayed up all night and did it whilst they were asleep! :?

I'm still a firm believer that KVM is the "right" way to do things (we have hundreds of guests running without issue on a single box at work) but getting it all working again on my home setup is something that I've simply not got round to trying again. I've long since thrown that TV tuner away and got myself a funky new one so maybe I will not hit the same issue as before.

I've got virtualbox running on my windows NUC and try stuff out on scratch copies of Linux there so the main server, I guess, is now classed as my production box and I tend not to fiddle with it like I used to.

Ian.
pauldmallett

Post by pauldmallett »

Ian
Thanks for that and the hardware post, seems I have Identified the a knotty problem and will keep you all posted on my progress or otherwise. As for storage, to allow universal accesss and avoid knotty problems of ownership I have created a specific account, on both current computers, and setup the access through Samba but I have glanced at a few posts around here on the networking question which I am not ready to deal with just yet.
And a Happy New Year
Paul
danceswithcats

Post by danceswithcats »

Hi,

I'm new here. The best guide I've found so far. I got much further than I thought I would before hitting a snag. Problem posted.

I've bought an old TranquilPC server box from a friend and am trying to get it up and running. Ubuntu's on, and was doing okay; we'll see how it goes. I've been running Ubuntu as my main desktop OS since 2007, but I'm very much one of those enthusiasts for the idea more than the technical stuff and this dns and dchp and netgate loopback business hurts my head.

It'll be lovely when it's finished though.
desertranger

Post by desertranger »

I've been on this forum for a few years and always done this build on Ubuntu, Now I'm gong to see if I have problems with it on Mint. I don't really expect any since both Ubuntu and Mint are Deb kernels but oyu never know. Any input would be appreciated. The main reason for usng Mint is better use of resources and the fact there will actually be a dozen servers working this box including the media server, SAMBA, Apache, SQL, a cloud and print servers. The box itself is a 7 year old i7 core CPU with 12bg of ram running overclocked by 30%, Nvidia 640 video card and more TB of storage than you can imagine. We'll see whathappens
kpb

Post by kpb »

Good day,

I have been using the information in this web site for about 6 years. Thank you it is a great site and source of topical information.
I notice that the has bee little activity recently on the site. I hope the site remains open and active!
I wonder with the current generation of software and hardware having you own home server is less important now, media streaming service, cloud servers, droplets on major server providers etc. In any case I am still running my own home server with the following:
Home server at home also acting as NAS, with Snapraid backup, plus
VM web site including nextcloud server
VM email server
Forum server
Torrent server behind VPN, with VPN proxy server
DNS server

Havetheknowhow has been a great base resource to set thus up! Thanks!
Budmanny5554

Post by Budmanny5554 »

Well I hope I can follow along well enough to do this project. I am a newbie to Ubuntu but have used Linux in the past. That was back during Dial up times to make a multiple line keep alive box for internet. Yes I know very ancient history. It served my 50 ohm cable LAN for 4 computers plus the Linux box. It was nice to have the internet "On" all the time and then at 10 pm till 6am a second line was added in. I will be using an HPe server I was given, dual 2 Terabyte storage disks and 2 half Terabyte OS drives. I have Gigabyte internet here now but want this only behind the firewall. Thank you for allowing me in. If anyone needs any Ham Radio or antenna questions feel free to message me.
desertranger

Post by desertranger »

I'm back. This is not the first time I've used this forum, last time was Ubuntu 16.04, No upgrading to 18.04 and rebuilding my multi server which is used for a lot of things including media. I have noticed that the main pages have not been updated since I was last here (from 16 to 18) I hopoe it still woirks

Steve and the hounds at Prescott Service Dogs
JohnFosterjdNw

Post by JohnFosterjdNw »

Hello everyone. I'm glad to join your community