The "introduce yourself" thread

Ian

Re: The "introduce yourself" thread

Post by Ian »

Hi Kryspy and welcome to the forums, thanks for taking the time to post. You've got an interesting setup there :thumbup:

What made you got with Mythbuntu rather than starting off with plain vanilla Ubuntu and then installing the MythTV bits and pieces afterwards?

How are you getting on with PS3 Mediaserver? Does it deliver your OTA recordings nicely to your PS3s? Does FFwd and Rewind work ok? How does it cope with longs lists of media?

Re your torrents, have you got everything automated or do you have to manually schedule stuff?

Ian.
Kryspy

Post by Kryspy »

Ian,

I went with Mythbuntu because it already utilizes the lightweight xfce desktop. I tried Ubuntu 11.10 server but there were some unresolved kernel dependencies when dealing with my Hauppauge drivers.

I have since figured out how to get around the problem but am happy with my choice.

I have PS3 Mediaserver setup and mapped to a Recorded TV folder which is also a recording group in Mythtv. I have set PS3MS to not transcode .mpg files which is the recording format of Mythtv and is readible by the PS3. This allows full FF and REW. I use the square button on the PS3 controller to bring up the timeline bar to get past commercials. PS3MS doesn't have any problems with large quatities of media. All shows are given a real name using the Mythtv script and a thimbnail is visible as well.

As for torrents I manually schedule stuff via the Trans-gui frontend. I have never got the likes of TED to work properly. I am also quite choosy as to what quality I download :)

Kryspy
lobstha

Post by lobstha »

I have always wanted to dabble with Linux and I really needed a server. So an aging Dell E520, 3.06 GHZ, 2.5 gig RAM, and a whooping 80 gig hard drive became my trial box. A couple of hiccups here and there but fairly smooth sailing. A lot of reading on this site and many others has gotten me through each issue I bump up against as I keep advancing. File Sharing and partitioning stumped me, got through it, VNC stopped working and I stumbled but worked through it. Deluge was surprisingly easy, Mediatomb--well we are working on that now, much configuring needs to still occur to get some of my hardware working better. The biggest aid to me as outlined in the guide, was installing the GUI. Many times I have putty, VNC, and Webadmin all up, it really helps a noob get a clearer picture of how this all ties together. Off to other parts the forum to ask some really noob questions. :D
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi lobstha and welcome to the forums :thumbup:

Please feel free to ask for help with any problems you might have. Chances are one of us has fallen at the same point so should be able to get you up and running again.

Have fun!

Ian.
AshScott

Post by AshScott »

My names Ash, I'm 16, at college in Kent, UK studing A Level ICT, and CISCO. Love gaming, do too much of it. Just bought a dedicated server currently running with a 1.22GHz CPU, 2GB of ram, 1TB HD, Linux 10.04 Lucid Lynx. ('twas cheap :P) Will soon be running minecraft servers, teamspeak servers, cod4 servers, and some websites off it. I hope to be more active on these forums, as it seems like a nice community :)

Regards
Ash
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Ash and welcome to the forums. You're 16 years old? Just a mere whippersnapper :lol:

Yeah, it's a friendly forum. We've not had any heated debates about which distro is best or anything like that. Yet! Some very knowledgeable guys here. Please feel free to stick around and contribute. If you're studying then it's likely you'll be a lot more knowledgeable and up to date than me for example so I might learn a thing or two! :thumbup:

Ian.
AshScott

Post by AshScott »

Ian wrote:Hi Ash and welcome to the forums. You're 16 years old? Just a mere whippersnapper :lol:

Yeah, it's a friendly forum. We've not had any heated debates about which distro is best or anything like that. Yet! Some very knowledgeable guys here. Please feel free to stick around and contribute. If you're studying then it's likely you'll be a lot more knowledgeable and up to date than me for example so I might learn a thing or two! :thumbup:

Ian.
hehe yeh only 16, looking to learn about linux based OS'. I doubt i'l have the knowledge you most likely do when it comes to linux, so i could also learn a thing or two! Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Ash
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Hey Ash

Good to see some youngsters here.

If you are willing to then Linux can be very rewarding, there is more to computing than Mr Gates offering's.

You may be interested in http://www.raspberrypi.org/.

The Pi will run Debian or Fedora with many other O/S's in the pipeline including RiscOS.

Andy
markg55

Post by markg55 »

Hello everyone!
Mark here from Long Island New York.
Just installed Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit server on my box. Things are going smooth. Have some issues but not ready to wave the white flag yet (I kinda like a challenge now and again). Thank you for a concise , easy to follow guide. I going to set this box up as a home "Cloud" type of server and media DLNA for the Home Theater, PS3 and the like.
My server specs

E3400 dual-core Celeron
8 gigs of ram
Asus P5G41t-LMX MoBo
160 gb system drive
2 1.5 TB hard drives.
imprimus

Post by imprimus »

Hello!

I used the guide and this forum as a resource for building my server and I felt that I really had to express my appreciation not just for Ian and his wonderfully helpful guide, but also for the rest of the contributors on this forum. Many of the topics here were invaluable during my struggles. I ended up using 11.04 on my machine due to 10.04 not picking up my onboard network card during install and a few other issues (honestly, after finally getting the installer to recognize my USB key to install off of, having it not recognize my onboard NIC was just a dealbreaker even though I probably could have fixed it).
My machine is running beautifully now and does everything I want it to, most of the time. :) So, thank you all very much! As more issues arise and I try new and crazier things, I'm sure I'll keep frequenting this forum for assistance.

Best regards,
Cris

Case: ARK IPC-3U380DPS 3U Rackmount
MB: Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2P
CPU: Core2 Duo E8400
RAM: 8GB
2 x 2TB drives, 1 x 1 TB and 2 x 500GB (I had a few extras sitting around)