The "introduce yourself" thread

Ian

Re: The "introduce yourself" thread

Post by Ian »

Hi Mark and Cris and a warm welcome to both of you. Glad you both found the guides useful (at least in some way :lol: ). I hope that you both stick around, I'm sure we can all learn something from each other.

I appreciate this forum is probably not the most exciting of places to hang out so if anyone has any ideas of how to change that (a completely off-topic section for instance?) then please feel free to make suggestions.

Thanks everyone. :clap:

Ian.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Hello Mark and Cris.

Mark if you want to set up a cloud server try http://www.tonido.com/ it works a treat, well at least it does for me.

Cris I like the rack mount idea.
I appreciate this forum is probably not the most exciting of places to hang out so if anyone has any ideas of how to change that (a completely off-topic section for instance?) then please feel free to make suggestions.
Off topic would be good and perhaps a links section to post links to software.

What about Facebook, G+ and Twitter requests, once folks start Tweeting, Facebooking and G+ circling may just bring in some new members, Ian this could be the first step towards world domination :wtf:

Andy
Ian

Post by Ian »

Andy Horn wrote:Off topic would be good and perhaps a links section to post links to software.

What about Facebook, G+ and Twitter requests, once folks start Tweeting, Facebooking and G+ circling may just bring in some new members, Ian this could be the first step towards world domination :wtf:
Great idea Andy. An Off Topic forum has been added. See here

I'll leave it to someone far more knowledgeable about Facebook and G+ to start the ball rolling on those two :oops:

Ian.
imprimus

Post by imprimus »

Thanks for the welcome, looking forward to the Off-Topic, should I nab a bit of spare time from the multitude of projects assailing me :)

Andy, my whole setup is a rackmount solution actually. I commandeered a small closet upstairs, bought some rack rails on ebay for approximately $20 (nice sturdy ones too, can't complain about the quality), built a rack with those and some 2x4's and ran cat6 throughout the house with the central node being my closet. I've got a patch panel for ease of identification and overall prettiness ($15 online, decent quality) waterfalling to a 24-port gigabit TrendNet switch, 1U blade server running Smoothwall for firewall and DHCP, my media server (primarily being used to stream media to the PS3 in the living room using PS3 Media Server), and a SmartUPS 1400VA with network card that I'm going to set up to email me when the power goes out (hopefully). The whole thing has been a lot of fun to put together.
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

WOW that is some set up for a house, I deal with offices that have got nowhere near that type of infrastructure.
Nenene

Post by Nenene »

My name is Nenene <Nay-nay-nay>. I'm logged in here for my brother DesertRanger because he can't seem to get his account working. So when you see my name it will be him being a sock puppet while he works on his Great Media Thing. Ranger is of the techie type, ham radio, computers, etc. I'm into art and teaching.
Nenene

Post by Nenene »

I vote for an off topic section. Believe me I can fill it up.

BTW I'm still having probs with the LTSP setup.
Ian

Post by Ian »

An off-topic forum has been created: here

Please feel free to go ahead and use it. Hopefully it'll take us off in all sorts of directions and we can all enjoy the experience. ;)

Ian.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Nenene wrote:I vote for an off topic section. Believe me I can fill it up.

BTW I'm still having probs with the LTSP setup.
Hi there, what problems are you having with LTSP? Maybe if you create a new thread your issue will get more exposure than on this thread.

Ian.
popeyesfx

Post by popeyesfx »

Hi guys
Found ian's how to build a media server link, very interesting.
Led me here. Being a complete noob to linux its always good to know there are like minded people ready to help.
Got my hardware dusted of and ubuntu server installed
Just wrestling with flexraid and logical volumes.
Cheers
Jack