The "introduce yourself" thread

Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Re: The "introduce yourself" thread

Post by Andy Horn »

Hi and welcome.

That sounds like a bit of a beast, however, I do not wish to be too critical, but there is very little point in installing a BluRay burner as BluRay is not supported in Linux, unless thing's have changed, same applies to Apple computers, the only way round it is to install some flavour of Window's in a VM.

Also buying an all singing all dancing graphics card is a waste of money if you are going to install Ubuntu server on your set up, the server edition does not have the drivers in it's kernel seeing as it has been designed to run headless, unless of course this has changed in 12.04LTS.

Andy
dazeruk

Post by dazeruk »

Just purchased an HP Proliant N40L Microserver £239 from Dabs with £100 cashback from HP (previous owner of a Synology NAS drive which has slowly filled itself up) to use a server for all my media. Moved supplied disk to CD space and have installed 3 x 2Tb drives.

Looking to run Ubuntu server.

Will be streaming to 1st generation Apple TV. Wifi card replaced with Broadcom BCM70015 Crystal HD card and running CrystalBuntu/XBMC.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi there and welcome to the forums :thumbup:

That looks a nice little set up you have there. I too started with a NAS or two but soon saw the error of my ways :roll:

If you have any questions or get stuck please shout :thumbup:

Ian.
Moridiin

Post by Moridiin »

Hi

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to installing a home network. I'm hoping there is some kind of step by step method for newbies like me. I will highlight what I'm hoping to achieve and any feedback on costs and how to go about doing it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm with virgin who will soon upgrade me to fibre I believe. I want to know what the best options are with prices if possible. My house has 2 attics (one of which will be the study/entertainment room). There are 3 bedrooms and a living room and sitting room and a basement that has a kitchen, bathroom and store room.

Firstly should I go cat6 or fibre to each room and how many sockets should I have in each room?
What peripherals will I need to purchase and what kind of cost will I be looking at fir each option of cat 6 or fibre.

Thanks

Moridiin
Abysmal Craig

Post by Abysmal Craig »

@Moridiin

I used fiber in my house and tbh if you dont know what your doing with it, you can end up causing serious injury to yourself nevermind the cost of fiber these days.

If I were you I would stick to Cat 6e as cat 6 will supply you with enough bandwidth run run almost anything you need in your house. As far at node point are concerned it depends on what you are using in each room. Count what you will have in each room that will require an internet connection and then add say 1 or 2 more for future expansion.

Concerning the hardware you need; you will receive a router a router off virgin media themselves. This will probably be wireless. After this what you might need is a larger capacity switch say, 12 port. it all depends on how many node points you are going to install in your house.

If you want I can talk you through a step by guide on setting up a network such as yours? If so send me a PM with the specifics of whats going to be on your network.

Craig
Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT
Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD65 Intel Motherboard
Processor: OVERCLOCKED Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
RAM: 8GB Corsair DDR3 @ 1866MHz
Hard Drives: Intel SSD 60GB for O/S 2x 3.5TB WD for Data
Moridiin

Post by Moridiin »

Hi Craig

Thanks for your response, it's mush appreciated.

What I intend to have as a set up will be based over 3 floors. I have two attics, the floor below has 3 bedrooms and then the floor below that a living room and a sitting room.

I want node 0 in attic 1 with a socket of maybe 4 ports. Attic 2 to have a socket of 4 ports too. And then each of the bedrooms to have a socket of 2 ports or should I go 4 ports here too?

The living room and sitting room to have 4 ports in the living room and 2 ports in the sitting room or should I go 4 ports in both?

In the near future I intend to have a media server/or server in general can this be added ad a later date or not?

I want to go cat6e. What devices will I need e.g. Switch and other devices. I would appreciate any step by step help as I can't even terminate any cables, although If I'm shown clearly how to do sum mat I'm usually quite good at following instructions.

See I told you I'm a complete newbie.

Thanks

Moridiin
MarkyB

Post by MarkyB »

Hi!

Found the Linux Media Server thread a while back. Excellent stuff, and gradually working my way through it. Great to see so many other projects and ideas.

Recently gave up on using a 10-year old desktop as a server and bought the real thing - HP ProLiant Turion II N40L MicroServer - an absolute bargain from ebuyer and ideal for a small home server. Running 12.04 Precise headless via SSH and VNC on 1Tb across 4 assorted old (but fast 7200) disks. All connected up nicely with my dual-boot Win 7 / Kubuntu Dell Core i5 laptop, my Ubuntu desktop (with absolutely hilarious startup and shutdown times on its 120Gb SSD), and my networked Brother duplex laser. In fact it's such a sweet setup for me that now I'm loathe to let my family anywhere near it with their stuff!

Looking forward to reading and contributing.

Mark
AndrewS

Post by AndrewS »

Hello Everyone
I found a link to the UBUNTU guide.One of the best guides i have seen, Great site! Glad to have found it!!

My Kit

Case: Antec Three HundredGaming Case
Motherboard: AMD 760G Chipset Motherboard
Processor: AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 3.60GHz Processor
Memory: Corsair 8GB
Hard Drives: 1TB HDD

I am building myself a home server, i was looking at HP ProLiant Turion II N40L, It would have UBUNTU or Window home server.

Please feel free to ask for help with any problems you might have

Regards
Andrew
Case: Antec Three HundredGaming Case
Motherboard: AMD 760G Chipset Motherboard
Processor: AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 3.60GHz Processor
Memory: Corsair 8GB
Hard Drives: 1TB HDD
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Windows Home Server?, Ubuntu server is much more flexible and it is free.

Andy
sakzje

Post by sakzje »

Hi Everyone,

I am Sarath. I am not new to Linux but have been totally ignorant about the developments in the media-related stuff. Nevertheless, I have always been wondering how to set up a linux server to serve various media across the home network. The article 'How to build a Linux media server' and the requirements listed therein seemed to address the exact things I wanted to do. It is a very well written document paying attention to all aspects of setting up the server.

But, being a newbee to media applications, I am still wondering how I am going to use my media server. I have set up MediaTomb on my server now. So what are the possibilities for me to use the server? I imagine, I could use other computers in my network to access the server (using VLC, for example - what else?) and watch a movie or listen to music. I could connect that computer to a TV or to a stereo system for better viewing/listening. How else would I use it? Maybe some of you could enlighten me on this!

Thanks very much!

- sarath