The "introduce yourself" thread

bimmermad

Re: The "introduce yourself" thread

Post by bimmermad »

Hi,

I am completely new to networking overall and i am looking to start a new build as i have a lot of time on my hands, i am hoping this forum will help me to get started and guide me along the way.

firstly i would like to ask will this be possible for a novice in networking like me?

secondly my main objective is to be able to access all my documents through the cloud from anywhere, both on internet and mobile, will this be possible?

many thanks

Naz
Ian

Post by Ian »

bimmermad wrote:Hi,

I am completely new to networking overall and i am looking to start a new build as i have a lot of time on my hands, i am hoping this forum will help me to get started and guide me along the way.

firstly i would like to ask will this be possible for a novice in networking like me?

secondly my main objective is to be able to access all my documents through the cloud from anywhere, both on internet and mobile, will this be possible?

many thanks

Naz
Hi Naz and welcome to the forums :thumbup:

I guess the answer is "yes" to both questions. However, they doesn't mean it'll be plain sailing, it depends on the sort of thing you want to do. With remote access to your server over the internet for example the obvious issue is "if you can get in others can too potentially". That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it tho, you just need to be careful. If it's just documents you wish to access then the obvious question is why not stick them on the cloud to begin with? There are plenty of free services out there, "ubuntu one", "google drive" to name but two. Just a thought.

Ian.
The freeman

Post by The freeman »

Hey Guys

Came across this site and i love it!. i've just finished following most of the instructions with regards to setting up squeezebox and mediatomb. will be posting some questions in the relevant categories.
total ubuntu noob but loving the power of low cost solutions!
Ian

Post by Ian »

The freeman wrote:Hey Guys

Came across this site and i love it!. i've just finished following most of the instructions with regards to setting up squeezebox and mediatomb. will be posting some questions in the relevant categories.
total ubuntu noob but loving the power of low cost solutions!
Hi there and welcome to the forums :thumbup:

Glad you're enjoying yourself. Please feel free to ping across any questions and we'll do our best to help you

Ian.
mr_si

Post by mr_si »

Hi all,

I'm new here and have just this Friday set up Flexget on my Mythbuntu 11.10 machine.
The idea of RSS feeds to auto-download is awesome to me.

I'm a Linux user, although Micro$oft has made my career in IT.

Si
steelrain

Post by steelrain »

Using Ubuntu 12.04 server on a retired dell 820 we had laying around, did a few tweaks for the lcd screen so it doesnt come on or turn it off when closed. This site really helped out on the samba part that drives me nuts as I have a htpc box in all my rooms to access my movies and it always went down on my win 7 machine. I also already notice a great perfomance increase with speed and buffering.

Thanks for a great informative site!
Andy Horn
Knows their stuff

Post by Andy Horn »

Hello and welcome.

Ext4 is way faster than NTFS, which is getting a bit long in the tooth now.

Andy
bburg11

Post by bburg11 »

Hi

Great website, thank you "Mr. Havetheknowhow" :)

I live in Luxembourg, and have been using Ubuntu for a couple of years. I have done more or less all steps described on this web site individually, to test things out, and to understand, but have never built (yet) a server which incorporates all of the elements.

I have just bought a 120 euro 2nd hand pentium 4, and am building a simple media server, without KVM (processor won't support it).

I had hoped also one day to build an Asterix IP phone system for the house (maybe one more element to add on this "havetheknowhow" website, ... but my limited knowledge, and the risks (in case you connect your asterix system to the public phone system, if you get hacked, this could cost many thousands of Eur's, ... as one of my recent employer found out :(

I love the fact that internet has brought sharing of knowledge, opinions, ... Great work

Best Regards

BBURG11
Black_Label_No7

Post by Black_Label_No7 »

Hello everybody, :wave:

Microsoft Server Admin in St. Louis, MO

First just want to say how helpful this site has been. I’m only a novice Linux user and have been wanting to do basically everything on this side for a while now (NAS, Media streaming, Virtualization, etc..), and had only just recently got a Ubuntu Desktop machine up and running with a basic Samba share (it didn't even auto mount on boot). I almost fell out of my chair when I found this site, :shock: with step by step guides for all this, and explanations for all the different technologies. Already re-installed to Ubuntu Server 12.04 (which I was a little scared off before, because of the command line interface :? ), and on my way to the Linux Home Server I have been dreaming of.

Anyway, here is my hardware setup: (FYI, most of it is scavenged)

Case: HP xw9400 Workstation
Processor: 2 * Dual-Core AMD Opteron 2216, 2.4GHz, L1 256KB, L2 2MB
Memory: 8GB (4 * 2GB) DDR2-667 ECC memory - will hopefully be getting 4 * 1GB to bring me up to 12GB total.
Hard Drives:
LSI Logic SAS1068E
OS: 2 * HP 2.5” 146GB 10K rpm SAS (RAID 1) in ICY DOCK Silm DVD-ROM & 2 Bay 2.5” HDD 5.25” Drive Bay Cage
VM Storage: 3 * 3.5” 300GB 15K rpm SAS (RAID 5) in Thermaltake MAX-2533 2 - 5.25” Drive Bay Canister

SnapRAID
Media: 2 * WD2003FYYS 2TB 7200rpm SATA
WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200rpm SATA
Barracuda 7200.11 640GB 7200rpm SATA
Samsung SP2504C 250GB 7200rpm SATA

Software: In the process of following your guide verbatim. Currently setting up SnapRAID. Had a hang up with GRUB during the OS install, took me forever to figure out what was wrong. Turns out the GRUB install part defaulted to /sda but I still had my 2 WD 2TB drives hooked up, so my RAID1 that I was installing to was /sdc... Like I said Linux novice. :oops:

Plans for down the road are a few VM’s on KVM for my wife and I, a personal Cloud setup like http://owncloud.org/ or http://www.tonido.com/ that Andy recomended a few posts back (thanks, taking a look at it now :thumbup: ), maybe a website, minecraft server, teamspeak server, and anything else that catches my eye. :geek:

Thanks again Ian (a.k.a. Mr. HaveTheKnowHow), :clap:

This is an awesome site, and I will be spending a lot of time here for the foreseeable future.

Brian
Ian

Post by Ian »

What a great post Brian. Thank you! :clap:

I have to ask you why you didn't go with a Windows Server variant for your home server given your day-job? You'd have been able to get it up and running with your eyes shut! :lol:

I've been working with Windows since it was first released (and DOS before that) but wanted to learn something new so started on my quest to "learn" unix. Many times when I got stuck I did think of throwing in the towel and going with a MS solution, it certainly would've been easier. But I'm glad I stuck with it and think I've got a very flexible platform now.
It's been a while since I've been through my guides but hopefully everything I've written still works. But if you do get stuck come and ask and we'll do our best to at least point you in the right direction :thumbup:

Have fun. ;)

Ian.