The "introduce yourself" thread

Ian

Re: The "introduce yourself" thread

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

Sorry, I'd not spotted that post. If you logon onto Webmin as root you shouldn't need to manually add the sudo command?

Ian.
Shag

Post by Shag »

Hello,
I am learning how to setup my first media server and love the site! I have been going through this guide with a fine tooth comb and have successfully setup my first samba share. :clap: I have had a few hick ups along the way with webmin and VNC but I will keep a watchful eye on the forums :ugeek: and post when I need to look for some guidance. :crazy:

Thanks for the hard work

Shag
darkmarauder

Post by darkmarauder »

I noticed it's been a while since anyone has posted on here but here I go:-

Hello All, I'm a relative newcomer to Ubuntu. I used to use Redhat in the very early days but other than building a couple of Nagios servers more recently, my Linux exposure is limited.

I'm currently building a media server as per your instructions with some new and some old parts:-

Gigabyte Poseidon Case
550W PSU (most probably will swap over to Antec 660W)
Gigabyte X43 Mainboard
3.20Ghz Core2Duo Processor
2Gb RAM (most likely up that to 4Gb)
Ubuntu installed on 256Gb Corsair SATA2 SSD
Not sure on storage yet, have various 1Tb / 1.5Tb HDD's available

With the aim to share my media, locally and via RAS
Come check out my profile on Spiceworks - Where IT goes to work.
http://community.spiceworks.com/people/brendonprigmore
Morgan Baker

Post by Morgan Baker »

Hi guys. I guess I am the newbie on the block since I am just getting my "parts list" gathering. I have been dying to get a media server in like forever. I saw the picture Ian put up to cool his unit. I realize it is in the bedroom closet, which is what I am preferring to do. I was wondering if I simply put a lattice door on the closet would that keep it cool enough? Am looking forward to what you are thinking on this subject. I really don't have the option of venting the way he did.
desertranger

Post by desertranger »

Introduction redux.

Ranger and Jin here. Been a member of this forum for a few years and was active until I got my media server built. All was great under WinVista.

My old headless media server died because the video card crapped. I could fix it if I could find a an AGP vio card for it but they are scarce and costly.

Unfortunatly I have discovered that an OEM install of Win 8.x doesn't work with my Toshiba Satellite L875 and Ubuntu 14.04. Not on the hardware compatibility list either. So I have returned here to sort out the problem because all of the Ubuntu, LinuxQ forums can't answer the problem or answer my questions. Instead they toss links to this place and that lead nowhere. It will run off live CD/USB and p[robably in a Vbox but that's not what I want. The goal is a side by side install since I need both on the laptop.

I also have a desktop with Win 8.1 on an core I7 cpu, 12gb ram and 8tb worth of hdisks. Currently I use it to run X-plane which doesn't use all of the available ram so I want to add the media server to that as well since X-plane runs under Linux. I would also like to run the current install of Win8.1 that is on it in a Vbox but I don't know if that can be done.

So I have returned to this page of friendlier Linux people in an effort to sort out that and other problems including using a headless R-Pi and a 3tb drive as a media server to reduce the operating and to let it all run it from a DC power source.
tleonhar

Post by tleonhar »

Howdy,
Still in the build process of my server, running Ubuntu server 14.04. My hardware is an older Dell desktop that I got at a garage sale for $5 (US), it has 4G of RAM, an Intel core 2 quad processor. There was no hard drive when I got it but with a 500GB drive laying around that problem was quickly solved.

When complete, my hope is to have a complete media server as well as a general purpose file server accessible by all my PC's.
tboy55

Post by tboy55 »

Hi all

Looks like a great New forum for me to join!

Kind of a newbie that can read I think sums it up when it comes to Ubuntu

Networking though. If only my wife knew of the NAS and servers I have hidden in the house.

Windows well I can click next like a champ!

Cheers
Ian

Post by Ian »

tboy55 wrote:If only my wife knew of the NAS and servers I have hidden in the house.
My wife often says "what would I do if you weren't here?" I'm a bit worried about what she has planned?! :crazy:
RacerBas

Post by RacerBas »

Time for me I guess.

I recently built a media server based on this guide.
Spec time!

CASE: Silverstone DS380
Motherboard/CPU: Arsock C2750 blablabla
Ram: Crucial 16GB 1600mhz
SSD: Crucial m500 120GB
Disks: 4*3TB Seagate NAS HDD

what runs on it?
-Plex Media server with about 10 users (also the reason I got the 2750 and not the 2550)
-Webmin
-KVM
-Owncloud
-Snapraid in combination with mhddfs

that's pretty much it.
pauldmallett

Post by pauldmallett »

Hi, My current interested in KVM Virtualization lead me to the site in the first place but what a fantastic primer in Linux software, techniques and remote administration it has proven to be, especially coming from some one who "didn't to learn a lot of complicated linux commands".
I am still suffering the kind of euphoria described in the sites' KVM page so I was wondering why in more recent posts it has become clear that the guest/host configuration has been abandoned for the media server? Mr Havetheknowhow?
I have KVM guesting Win7 on my old and only Latitude E5500 laptop which is currently running on Xubuntu and running Ubuntu Server is a slightly newer HP Proliont which is not really upto the job of media server but my monster old twin cpu home built server had to go along with Windows Server 2003 which was in fact an upgrade from 2000.
One more thing, if you wanted to keep your server "headless" and you'r still using Windows for the day to day stuff, you could load Linux and Virt-Manager into VirtualBox and then administer your remote guests through an SSH tunnel.