The "introduce yourself" thread

pete66

The "introduce yourself" thread

Post by pete66 »

Hi guys,

Being inherently nosey I’m interested in what sort of thing you use your server for so thought I’d start a thread! :D

What spec is your kit, ram, cpu storage capacity etc.
What software are you running now?
What do you use your server for and what plans do you have for the future?

I’ll start off……………..

Case: Antec Three Hundred
Motherboard: Motherboard GA-P55A-UD4P.
Processor: Intel Core i5 750 Processor 2.66 GHz
Memory: Corsair 4GB
Hard Drives: Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB for OS
2 * 2TB SAMSUNG HD204UI for movies and music

Running Ubuntu (obviously). Squeezebox server. PS3 Media Server serving my 2 PS3 consoles

Hope one day to use it to run CCTV

Been using linux for just over 6 months. Total novice before I came across the havetheknow website. Learning quickly.

Cheers,

Pete

EDIT: Server specs now added to sig :mrgreen:
Hard Drives: Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB for OS. 2 * 2TB SAMSUNG HD204UI for movies and music
Speccy

Re: The "introduce yourself" thread

Post by Speccy »

good idea for a thread Pete!
Currently using an old desktop computer I had lying around gathering dust. When I've got the hang of things Ill invest in a proper server :twisted:
Been using ubuntu for a couple of weeks now. Still getting everything set up. In the future I'll be using it for movies, plus hope to get mythtv running on it. Have read that it can be a "challenge" getting it running :crazy:
Currently listening to my music on it :wave:
smithy

Post by smithy »

Hi guys,

I'm new here too. Looks like this forum has only been running for a couple of weeks so we're all new?

Using a custom built atom-based rig with a 2TB internal hard drive. Plus using a couple of external usb attached drives that I had already. Used to be attached to my desktop but decided on something a bit less power-hungry.

I signed up in the hope of exchanging ideas with like-minded individuals. I'm sure we can all learn a lot from each other. After all, we're all heading in the same direction, right?

Keep up the good work Mr HaveTheKnowHow. Your website has been SO helpful to me. Thank you :clap:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Mr HaveTheKnowHow? That's a new one :lolno:

Just kidding. This thread is a great ice-breaker, thanks for starting it Pete :thumbup:

The forum has only been going since the start of this year. I used to encourage people to email me directly or post on my blog. The blog became a total mess with no structure to it so that had to go. With the emails more and more people were asking very similar questions.

So, given the above I thought I'd start this forum. Hopefully over time it'll become a great resource of info, plus I hope it'll become a place where I'm not the only one helping out people who are stuck :lol:

So, thanks to everyone who's signed up. Please don't be shy in coming forward. It can only become a great community with your input.

Thanks guys. :wave:

Ian.
pete66

Post by pete66 »

HaveTheKnowHow wrote:plus I hope it'll become a place where I'm not the only one helping out people who are stuck :lol:
Hey, I'm already helping out :crazy:

At the top of each forum (hardware, software etc) there is a "Subscribe forum" link. I've clicked that and so get an email each time there is some activity on that forum. :cool:
Hard Drives: Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB for OS. 2 * 2TB SAMSUNG HD204UI for movies and music
Marco

Post by Marco »

Another newbie here,

Currently just using mine for streaming my movies. Running PS3MediaServer. In the future, who knows what I'll be doing with it :twisted:

Been using Linux (mainly Ubuntu) for a couple of years now. Still have windows machines tho. Ubuntu is just for my server.
B&WFan

Post by B&WFan »

Hello everyone :wave:

Not actually got a server yet, still plucking up the courage to do it. Rather nervous that I'll spend a wad of cash only to find out that it doesn't work :oops:

Maybe soon...........
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Hi guys,

Just found the main website and am just working through it now. Already have a computer that I plan on converting to a media server. I expect I'll be back here in a few days when I get stuck!

Wish me luck :wave:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi guys and welcome to the forum. If you get stuck or are unsure about something please don't feel shy about posting. We all have to start somewhere and no question is too dumb, believe me. ;)

I know some forums have "experts" lurking in the wings just waiting to pounce on newbies and make them feel dumb, or they step up and rattle off some reply that assumes you're already a guru but this forum is not one of those places. No sir.
We've a few experienced guys around here but most people are just like you: just starting off. Me for example, I've been working with computers way back before Windows was invented but have only been using Linux for the past 3 or 4 years so my memories of sheer panic when I get stuck are very much fresh in my mind :lol:

Anyway, welcome once again, good luck with your project and enjoy it. If you get stuck, or simply want a chat about something or, dare I say it, gloat about how fantastic your server is (pictures please :twisted: ) then please do so.

Whatever you do, have fun :thumbup:

Ian.
yoram

Post by yoram »

Hi Everyone
Found this site after trying UBUNTU couple of times
This time it's actually working!
After about 2 weeks I have my server up and rumming. Streaming media to a PS3
and acting as a general backup system.
Currently struggling with FlexGet to customize my torrents

Thumbs up for the initiative :thumbup: