What's the benefit of building your own media server?

Mr. Noob

What's the benefit of building your own media server?

Post by Mr. Noob »

Mr. Noob here.

OK, I've been doing a bit of googling, like ya do, and stumbled across this site. Question for all you guys (and gals?), is "why did you build it rather than buy a pre-built?"

I keep tooing and frooing about this and can not make up my mind which way to go. I like what I've been reading about all the benefits of a DIY server but is it really worth all the hassle? and how much hassle is it? Is it just for bragging rights or is there something more than that? How skilled are you all in "IT stuff"? Will it all be too much for me?

You're thoughts are appreciated.

cheers.

Mr. Noob
Speccy

Re: What's the benefit of building your own media server?

Post by Speccy »

Yeah, good question Mr Noob!

For me it's all about cost. We've all pondered the "build your own verses off-the-shelf" option at some point I think. What swayed me is I already had an old computer lying around and thought I'd put it to good use. Unless you spend lots of $$$ on a NAS then what you'll end up with is something that has about the same oomph as your mobile phone! Seriously.

I've now got something with potential. With Ubuntu, or indeed pretty much any other flavour of Linux, you can do anything with it. With a NAS you're limited to what is already built into the firmware. If you want to go outside that functionality you're stuck.

If all you want to do is stream movies then you can buy any NAS. If you want something more than that then you're looking at building your own. Well, when I say "build", you don't have to build it from the ground up. You can buy any cheap computer, wipe the hard drive and start over. You don't even have to open the case. You can stick with MS if you don't want to venture down the *nix route. I like the fact that you can "install and forget". With windows you have to patch it every five minutes. :crazy:

There is LOADS of info out there to help you if you get stuck. Stumbling across the havetheknowhow website is what clinched the deal for me. There is no pain involved in getting it all running, you just follow the instructions.

Does this help?
Marco

Post by Marco »

Build your own. Everytime.
Pre-built machines are built for a particular market using the cheapest components they can get their hands on. build your own and you can spec out EXACTLY what you want, no compromises.
IMHO pre-built machines are for people with too much money and not enough sense. :lol:
thinmintaddict

Post by thinmintaddict »

+1 for DIY.

NAS is underpowered, Windows Home Server is a crappy OS, with almost no software for it.
A linux server gives you a lot more flexibility as far as what you can do with it. you can run a web server, a mail server, a media server, an ftp server, you can even roll your own Dropbox clone if you'd like. all you have to do is google it, all kinds of how-to guides are out there.

I wouldn't be too scared to try, I think most of us had very little knowledge of linux when we started, and this guide is a great way to jump in. Everything is spelled out with the exact code you need to enter, and if you get stuck, we're all here to help :-)
djfourmoney

Post by djfourmoney »

Cost/Price is the main motivator, followed closely by control of hardware inside your server.

WHS IMHO is not crappy and there are hardly any software limitations. Can you use it as a server and media center? No not quite but that's hardly a reason to call it crappy. For me it will talk to my Windows Media Center PC without any BS. There other features I like as well but, I'm unemployed and cost is an issue.

I'm attracted to Linux as a home media/file server because that saving in software cost can be spent on hardware. By "Rolling Your Own" it will cost me about $250 in parts, which is less than HP's Home Servers which start around $350 for older models based on Intel Atom single core hardware.

NAS are getting cheaper but they are limited. There's a D-Link NAS on sale this weekend for $79. There is also 2TB drives on sale in a few places (Seagate and Samsung) for $70. So for about $320US you could have 4TB of total space or choose one of the few RAID profiles for those that are a bit more paranoid.
LarryJB

Post by LarryJB »

For me, It's all about the challenge of doing something I don't know how to do and the learning process. I like to say, "It's the journey not the destination."
Larry Browning
Linux newbie, but having fun and learning!
There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary and those that don't.
genghiskhen

Post by genghiskhen »

I build computers as a hobby so building an Ubuntu Server was fun for me. I test embedded software running on Linux at work so building an Ubuntu Server was educational for me. I already had two Windows HTPCs, so centralizing my media was a good idea. Linux runs for months without having to reboot. I didn't have to pay Microsoft a crazy insane amount of money to operate this computer. I no longer have intermittent networking issues like I had between Windows machines. For me, building a Linux machine was the next logical step.

This guide is so accurate, complete, and helpful. There were parts of the project I found difficult, but answers are only a Google search away. I learned so much the weekend I build my media server, and I am still learning to customize it and bend it to my will.
LarryJB

Post by LarryJB »

I am planning a server building party for all me geeky friends. I am going to have snacks, drinks and music. I have gathered all the stuff I need, we are going to put the hardware together and install the OS and software. I hope to have a functioning server at the end of the evening. One guy is bringing his box for us to build as well. We should have 2 servers built and running with any luck.
So here is another benefit of building your own. !!!!!!!P A R T Y!!!!!!!
Larry Browning
Linux newbie, but having fun and learning!
There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary and those that don't.
djfourmoney

Post by djfourmoney »

Either I'm really cut out for IT stuff (taking/finishing A+) or lucky. I never has any serious problems with Windows over the years that wasn't solved by basic troubleshooting or updates from Microsoft.

The overwhelming motivator for me is COST, I am unemployed. I earn a small amount of income in a way I do not wish to mention here and its not illegal. That is enough to build a very basic, low cost server. I finally got my 2TB drive and want to use this in a server. But I also want to rebuild my Media Center's OS drive and install some new features. That means moving everything off my currently very full drives to this new 2TB (1.83TB NTFS formated) drive. By making it NTFS, I guess I've already laid my bed for WHS, but I doubt that.

Right now cost is -

$70 For Mini-ITX Tower/Server Case
$80 Dual Core Atom + $20 for 2GB of DDR3
$0 For 2TB Drive (already purchased)
$0 For 640GB Drive for Server OS (partitioned)
$99 For WHS 2008 w/Power Pack 3 (Remixed just for Windows Media Center and Recorded TV Archives)

Alternatives included the software in the guide or Amahi as suggested by Tom's Hardware Guides, cost $0 (likely to donate to cause)

I am going to forgo media streaming for the moment and just put my media in one area and safe.

With WHS its just under $300 with taxes or about $190 using Linux based solution
synergenerator

Post by synergenerator »

I agree w LarryJB. The challenge is appealing, however, this site and forum have made it much easier by having everything in one place! Cost can be deceptive, since time is $$ (so long as you're employed) and even with this site, I have dumped at least 30 hours over 2 weeks into the project and I'm still tweaking. Opportunity was also key for me, since I acquired a relatively new server (3yo Dell PowerEdge) which had a hardware raid card. This made the cost much more attractive of course since I bought nothing to get it running.