Movie file meta data (TAG)

robinmcalpine

Movie file meta data (TAG)

Post by robinmcalpine »

Hi,

Thanks for a great site!

I currently have an load SLM5500 for streaming and have tried most uPNP players (Media Connect, TombStone, twonky etc etc) in a failed attempt to get what I want.... Movie art work and sysnopsis information. I have seen the NTV550 Netgear and think thats for me.

Having read your website about the NTV550 and setup of MovieWall it looks perfect. I've download MCM and that appears to be a doddle. Now, current server is a Win7 box (Virtual) sitting on ESXi with mapped drives to another VM (main file server). Having read you website I am keen to move back to Ubuntu.

My question is how and where you add meta data... Do you rip on a Windows box, run MCM to obtain addiotnal information (I think its only avaialble in a Windows format) and then copy the folder across to your Ubuntu machine and add it to TombStone (if not set to autoscan)?

Many thanks
Ian

Re: Movie file meta data (TAG)

Post by Ian »

Hello there sir, welcome to the forum and thanks for your kind words about my website. It's always nice to hear from someone who has managed to read more than a few pages of it without falling asleep! :lol:

I think the NTV550 is a cracking streamer. It's not perfect but IMHO is definitely up there with the best of them. The NTV550 uses SMB/CIFS/NFS, it doesn't need a UPnP server as a host so the whole user experience is very different on the NTV550 than what you're used to with your SLM5500s. The downside with it tho (and with the competition too) is that because it handles more codecs and containers natively it does suffer from more issues. That said, I do think you'll like it. My advice is always to buy from somewhere with a good returns policy. Not trying to put you off but different people have different expectations and obviously a different collection of media.

I run MCM on a virtual XP machine and simply point it at my storage. MCM can see any mapped drive and as long as it has Write access to that drive then it can add the necessary tag files and cover art.
When I first installed MCM I pointed it at my whole collection. Now, whenever I add a new movie, I rip to a temporary folder on my desktop and point MCM at that temporary folder. Once it's done its' thing I then move the whole folder over to my storage.

Incase you're wondering why I run MCM on a virtual machine and not my main desktop. I generally run all "non-essential" apps on a virtual machine simply to try and keep my main desktop nice and clean and fast.

Lastly, incase you missed it there is an article on tagging that you might find useful: tagging on the NTV550