Using a blue ray player with the Netgear NTV550

stargeezer

Using a blue ray player with the Netgear NTV550

Post by stargeezer »

Hi all, :wave: this is my first post and I hope for a little help with a streamer project. First let me say I've been reading specs and reviews until my head is spinning. I'm new to all this and hoping to not make too many mistakes and looking to you all for help.

Now, having pretty much decided on this streamer, I am very confused about how to use a blue ray player with this unit. In one place the review says it supports a BD drive, then a few line later, it says it does not. There is not any real explanation that I can find on how the drive might be supported - on this site or any other.

I have a blue ray player in an external enclosure that has a USB 2.0 and ESATA output ports. The USB 2 port may be too slow for the blue ray, but surly the ESATA would handle the bandwith.

Does anybody have any clues?

Thanks, Larry
Ian

Re: Using a blue ray player with the Netgear NTV550

Post by Ian »

Hi Larry and welcome to the forums :thumbup:

From memory you have to add a special file to the NTV550 to get an attached blu-ray working. Never tried this myself but the NG forums have plenty of threads on it. The reason for the confusion, it seems, is because they originally planned to build blu-ray player support into the firmware but it never happened.

Are you aware that this streamer is no longer being developed by NG? Support from anyone other than a few dedicated forum member seems to have all but vanished. So, when you get the streamer if you're not 100% happy with it then you need to seriously think about whether to keep it or return it for a refund. Don't do what many people do and sit tight hoping for NG to fix something you're not happy about. That all said, I'm happy with mine (I have a few) but it all depends on what you're hoping to use it for. Just thought it worth mentioning ;)

Ian.