Ubuntu 12.04 + Windows 7

casedup

Ubuntu 12.04 + Windows 7

Post by casedup »

hey guys stumbled across your site.. very useful!! however it seems that the set up i am doing is not the same as any one elses on the site. i have a remote server that i am trying to mount my windows 7 share folder to. and also use this remote server in order to do backups of my windows 7 laptop. is this possible? ive tried several different options, cant seem to get ubuntu to find my windows laptop in any incident.
Ian

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 + Windows 7

Post by Ian »

Hi there and welcome to the forums :thumbup:

How are you accessing your remote server, via Putty or are you using a gui such as VNC? Can this remote server see "anything" except itself? For example the internet? Have you tried pinging the ip address of your laptop from this server? If so, what happens?

What you're wanting to do is very much possible so it's simply a case of finding out how come you can't currently!

Ian.
casedup

Post by casedup »

i have both putty ssh terminal and also a vnc session running through putty as localhost. i installed firefox on the server and it surfs the internet just fine. i can ping my laptop from my servers vnc terminal and also putty terminal., seems to be able to connect with the internet just fine. also my laptop is behind a router provided by my isp, however i have my shared folder option set to everyone. running plesk cpanel :[
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

OK, maybe you have a couple of bits missing. So, using Putty make sure you have the following packages installed on your server (if they are already installed then the following will do nothing):

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install samba smbclient smbfs
Does this help?

Ian.
casedup

Post by casedup »

ok i just downloaded the packages, do i try to connect like before or do i have to configure some things
casedup

Post by casedup »

hey u there guy??
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in replying. Do you still not see anything when choosing "network" from Nautilus?

Ian.